Sign in to follow this  
stangme428

69-70 roof different?

ok - i need a new roof for my 69 coupe!!

i have found a 70 coupe parts car with a "good roof" -

any structural or cosmetic differences between a 69 coupe roof and a 70 coupe roof ?? - the guy is parting out the car and wants 750 to cut the roof off or 1800 for the rolling shell ...

why they dont have repro coupe roof skins ill never know.... yeah everybody wants a fastback but... coupes need restoration also...:tongue_smilie:

The shape of the roof around the rear window looks to be a little different. The rear window area is also different for 69 to 70/ Comparing this photo to my coupe it looks like the roof line than blends into the quarter panel is flatter on the 70.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/attachments/makin-progress/7452d1237994546-1970-mustang-coupe-restoration-progress-img_1504.jpg

The roof would fit but it would have some slight differences. Depends on how much of the roof you need. If you don't need the sail panels area around the rear window it'll be a lot easier to blend.

the guy is parting out the car and wants 750 to cut the roof off or 1800 for the rolling shell ...

That's insane. Where are you? If it for sure needs to be from a 69, I saw one complete a few years ago just north of Portland, IN in a junkyard called Barnetts. My buddy said it was still there last time he went parts hunting. I bet they would sell you the whole car for $750 and then you could recoup some money from the parts you don't need. I can't remember if Starks, between Germantown and Miamisburg in Ohio, has any 69 coupes. It seems like they are usually 70's. I have a 70 parts car....but I'm not 100% sure when I'm getting rid of what's left when I'm done with it.

I am located in SE GA about 30 minutes from the Florida line .... 40 minutes from the coast... I found another salvage yard im going to call today...

If you are in the Pacific Northwest I can help you out with a nice 69 roof for a hell of a lot cheaper than what you talk about in you original post. I plan on cutting the car up any way, take the whole thing and save me some work. It's a V8 car with phenominal front end.

A southern salvage yard will rape you. If you complain, they'll say it's the labor, but on a stripped car I have personally cut off a roof with a sawsall in less than 20 minutes. Tell them to cut more then you need, then you spend the time drilling out spot welds, separating, and recycling what you dont need. Still a private sale roof could certainly be had for $300-400 I would think. I guess donor cars like that are more readily availble in New England because the rest of them is rotted out. But just find a coast car it wont be much better.

That's insane. Where are you? If it for sure needs to be from a 69, I saw one complete a few years ago just north of Portland, IN in a junkyard called Barnetts. My buddy said it was still there last time he went parts hunting. I bet they would sell you the whole car for $750 and then you could recoup some money from the parts you don't need. I can't remember if Starks, between Germantown and Miamisburg in Ohio, has any 69 coupes. It seems like they are usually 70's. I have a 70 parts car....but I'm not 100% sure when I'm getting rid of what's left when I'm done with it.

Don't know about Starks but there was a 69 coupe (w/bench seat) in a yard off Gettysburg, West Side Wrecking (one of the most dangerous parts of town). Saw it there last fall looking for a part for my ZX2. On a side note, had a roof off a parts car stored in my parent's barn till they had it tore down 5 or 6 years ago. Told them to scrap any parts I had stored there as I had nowhere else to stash them.

thanks everyone... just gimmie a pm or post if you see anything - i called several yards today .. no luck. saw a 69/70 coupe in a neighboring county a few months ago.. looked like a project car but i didn't see the front from the road.. only a side shot... im gonna try and track it down this weekend.:whistling: