Sign in to follow this  
coz

Hydraulic car dollies - anyone using them?

Anyone using hydraulic car dollies in the garage? If so, how do you like them? Here's an example;

http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Moving-Jack-HYDRAULIC-Dolly/dp/B000H3TSIU

I have a need to get my Mach into the middle of my two car (two door) garage to pull the interior. The passenger side is very close to the wall when I park so I can't get a jack on that side to get the tire up. I thought these dollies would solve that problem as I have enough room to get one around the two passenger side tires.

I use them at work too (The body shop next door to my shop sends us alot of work on them)

They are pricey, but work really well. It's still a kick to watch one of us drive a half totaled car around the parking lot on a pair of these ;)

I have a set of the red non-hydraulic ones pictured below (14% bought after viewing this item). I'd much rather have the hydraulic ones, but that's because I'm lazy and don't feel like using the jack much. The casters on mine are pretty tough to move too. I can move a car by myself, but not very easily. Just my $.02, if you can get the hydraulic ones, go for it.

I've just used a good heavy duty jack with wheels. Moved my 73's ass end over 12" last night cause it was getting closer to my shelves. Just line the jack in the direction you want to head, lift the wheels up enough to see daylight and push or pull the jack and car a bit at a time. I've even done it with a 69 F100. Don't lift it too high in case it wants to come loose, but use some caution and sense and maybe have a buddy help. Save the $400 for something else.

Also why not get the cheaper dollies they rest in, put them on outside and push the car in then push it sideways? Gravel driveway or something?

Edited by 69RestoRod

Also why not get the cheaper dollies they rest in, put them on outside and push the car in then push it sideways? Gravel driveway or something?

Asphalt driveway + small dolly wheels would cause problems and I have a 2" rise to concrete floor in the garage.

$320 shipped to the house.

As a follow up - I received the dollies the other day and have test fitted them and did a quick lift. These will work great - does exactly what I want to do.

They raise the car about 4" and are very stable. You can lock them in place so there is no issue with the hydraulics failing and no need for jack stands (if you can get them in there). I have just enough room to slide under on a creeper and get to the seat bolts and exhaust. Certainly would not want to work like that for days on end but to slide under occasionally, as well as, move the car around the garage easily - these certainly fit the bill.

For those interested - the best price I've found on the 1500# / 13" tire dolly is $320 for 4 delivered. Here is a link.... I did a buy it now auction for $220 plus $99 shipping. You may be able to get it cheaper on a direct bid....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-HYDRAULIC-VEHICLE-DOLLY-CAR-12-WHEEL-JACK-BODY-SHOP_W0QQitemZ390125535864QQihZ026QQcategoryZ63697QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63