Sign in to follow this  
midnightrider101

Did a 69 M-code Mach1 come with bigblock shock towers & staggered shocks?

Staggered shocks were not only BB cars. I think anything above the 302 & had a 4speed had staggered shocks. The tie downs were on all cars & should have been removed as part of the dealer prep. I assume the shock towers are typically BB but have been seen on others. In fact I have seen a few cars that have 1 BB shock tower, other is standard...

The only cars that should have come with the reinforced shock towers are the R, Q, G, & S code cars. The staggared shocks only came on 4-speed R, Q & G code cars but they made all kids of mistakes building them.

Gotta love that American "Craftsmanship." Then we all wonder why the big 3 are bankrupt and the whole country is the way it is! Even on an assembly line it was a free for all.

To tell if you have reinforced towers look at the lower half of your shock towers. Is there a thick 1/8 plate wrapped around the lower 6 to 8 inches of the tower? That's the reinforcement.

I've also seen these towers on H and M code mustangs and cougars.

To tell if you have reinforced towers look at the lower half of your shock towers. Is there a thick 1/8 plate wrapped around the lower 6 to 8 inches of the tower? . . .

Many thanks. I trust that this wouild be on the outside (visible from the engine compartment) rather than on the inside (visible from the wheel well). Is that right?

T.

Gotta love that American "Craftsmanship." Then we all wonder why the big 3 are bankrupt and the whole country is the way it is! Even on an assembly line it was a free for all.

Easy there. Let's not forget who invented the horseless carriage, the production line, etc. And I have worked on my fair share of imports to say that they are not engineering nor production masterpieces.

Furthermore, the last I heard was that FoMoCo is a far cry from going bankrupt - and in fact is doing just fine, at least here in Canada. And didn't Ford refuse to take any of Obama's handouts? I'm a blue oval admirer now more than ever.

T.

Easy there. Let's not forget who invented the horseless carriage, the production line, etc. And I have worked on my fair share of imports to say that they are not engineering nor production masterpieces.

Furthermore, the last I heard was that FoMoCo is a far cry from going bankrupt - and in fact is doing just fine, at least here in Canada. And didn't Ford refuse to take any of Obama's handouts? I'm a blue oval admirer now more than ever.

T.

The build quality and fit of 80+ % of imports out there is far superior to todays "American" cars. Christ, in the 60's they used giant metal shims just to get body panels to line up! And today... Almost every panoramic sunroof on a "New" Pontiac G6 leaked, so much so they had to just kill the option. That speaks not only to our lousy engineering, but also the quality of assembly. Things should have been better 40 years later! That's why i haven't owned an American daily driver in over 10 years.

I was very happy when Ford didn't need to take bail out money. They no doubt have a better management team in place/company than the other big 2, and i'm a Ford guy so that makes me happy... But let's face it, besides Ford trucks and the Mustang, has Ford really made any other car in recent memory worth talking about or owning? I for one don't think so.

I understand that the Bailout of GM/Chrysler had to take place to stem off larger ramifications, but i think they were both Fat Dinosaurs so far behind the times they should have just imploded. You cant make Chicken Soup out of Chicken shit no matter how much money you throw at it. American car companys have only now started making Hybrids, Japanese car companies have been making them for what, like 5 years now!

But...

My original statement was more making a crack at the so called "Fat, Lazy, American Worker" who can't even follow instructions on an assembly line (or is too lazy to do so). Although it's no doubt that overpaid cocky management had a hand in the troubles of the other big 2, a large portion of their woes come from said American "union" workers and their sub standard "craftsmanship" coupled with bloated union healthcare and pension funds dragging the companies down.

Don't get me wrong, i want every American company to succeed and competent workers to flourish and receive proper compensation. But a lot of the American workforce is incompitent (both blue and white collar). This fairs well even more so for blue collar workers who hide behind unions for protection. They want everything for free or with only half assed effort on their part.

Unions had their place in the 1800's, but i think at this point most of them cause more harm than good. The feeling of entitlement as Americans is going to choke this country.

And just for reference, I've had my full share of both blue and white collar work.

Sorry to go off on a rant... Switching back to happy Mustang enthusiast now! :)

I never attributed the incorrect classic mustang builds to "Fat, Lazy, American Workers". I always thought it was a supply issue. As in, "The truck with the standard shock towers didn't make its delivery today so lets use the staggered towers". Or "We ran out of this rear, grab some from the couger line next door".

. . . I was very happy when Ford didn't need to take bail out money. They no doubt have a better management team in place/company than the other big 2, and i'm a Ford guy so that makes me happy...

Surprisingly I find myself largely in agreement with your statements. I’ve heard unions described as being cancers – they kill their host and in the process kill themselves. Seem like a lot of this has happened as manufacturers flock overseas. Anyway, as the old saying goes, one should not discuss religion and politics in polite company . . .so back over to mustangs . . .

Cheers,

Tony

To tell if you have reinforced towers look at the lower half of your shock towers. Is there a thick 1/8 plate wrapped around the lower 6 to 8 inches of the tower? That's the reinforcement.

I've also seen these towers on H and M code mustangs and cougars.

strangely enough Mercury used the big block towers on every 69 and 70 cougar no matter which engine it had, wish they would have used the staggered shocks on all of them too. and just so everyone knows the base engine for 69/70 cougars was the H-code 351 2v. the only 302 available in a 69/70 cougar was the Boss 302 and it was only available on Eliminator models. i would love to have a 69 M-code eliminator with power windows and power sunroof in acapulco blue or as Mercury called Bright metallic blue