Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Transmission jumps out of 2nd gear

Hey guys, am hoping to get some pointers on my next mechanical: my little 4 speed routinely jumps out of 2nd gear unless I hold the shifter down. This seems to happen when letting off the throttle (we live on a steep hilll) and slowing down with compression.

I guess I'm interested in first knowing if this is even close to a "do it yourself" kind of thing. I'm hoping it is obviously, but I really wouldn't know where to begin looking.

Am game to try anything, but hoping someone can start dropping keywords for me to look for: linkage, clutch, blah blah blah.

As always, I appreciate the assist!

Tom

Probably a internal problem but you could try adjusting the shifter linkage, or checking for wear in the shifter. Make sure it's going fully into 2nd gear to start with. Does it grind when upshifting from 1st to 2nd or from downshifting from 3rd to 2nd?

Edited by SlimeGold 69

I suspect that the engagement teeth on 2nd gear are worn and you will have to disassemble the trans and replace at least that one gear. I suggest you call Mark at Toploader Heaven and discuss with him. He can supply advice, parts and a rebuild kit with DVD so you can do it yourself. Worked for me!

www.toploaderheaven.com