Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

351c - Getting worse the more I do

Hello RacerX,

You are correct that it seems I am jumping all around. I am trying not to do this, that is why I didn't rotate the dizzy.

I am trying to do one thing at a time and see what that does.

From this point on...I am doing 1 thing at a time.

I am trying to figure the whistle right now.

I will focus on that first, then I will be concerned with how the car runs.

I know it seems like I am a kid, replacing things willy nilly but that is not really the case. I am gonna slow it down and do things step by step.

I am gonna focus on the whistle and lack of idle vacuum and go from there.

Thanks for the advice and the link.

I am really stuck so will keep posting... I almost feel like I am gonna get bumped from the forum LOL Take Care all and thanks to all. I hope I can help others in return.

Know what I was thinking......BBQ...maybe I need to just eat some burned burgers. LOL Print Dad

Hey RacerX.... I went to the link and tried to create a new membership and it says the forum doesn't exist? Any ideas on that?

Edited by Print Dad
new info re: link

Try using a simple peice of hose to locate the whisling sound.

I like using a chunk of 5/8 heater hose about 2' long.

Flexable and large enough to pickout the differant sound you are seeking.

Ps, I still am leaning towards the spacer plate not being completely flat and leaking near the rear next to the manifold.

They do tend to bow if not torqued properly.

Ps,Ps, Just a thought popped up in my head, The missmatched intake to heads may be your cause for low vac while running.

The 2V head ports are trying to suck all the air being allowed in by your 4V intake.

Now you have volume and not enough flow. just my 2cts

Edited by Mach1Rider

Hey RacerX.... I went to the link and tried to create a new membership and it says the forum doesn't exist? Any ideas on that?

Haven't tried login on in a long time. Site seems to pop up ok. ????

Edited by RacerX

Try using a simple peice of hose to locate the whisling sound.

Ps,Ps, Just a thought popped up in my head, The missmatched intake to heads may be your cause for low vac while running.

The 2V head ports are trying to suck all the air being allowed in by your 4V intake.

Now you have volume and not enough flow. just my 2cts

I think Mach1 is right on. That intake is NOT a good thing to have with 2V heads. Do yourself and your car a favor and get the correct intake. You may have thought it run OK before but you may find out that it runs much better with the correct intake on it. It may have never held enough vacuum. I'll bet it never sealed 100% anyway. It may have sealed enough to run OK but now it's not. Also with the BIG ports on your intake and the small head ports there is one heck of a lip there caused by the mis-match. All kind of turbulance there causing poor performance.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Hello All,

Almost there. Today, I tried several things and figured I'd post what happened.

1. - Swapped carb with a good one from my friends Hot rod. No change, still serious whitsle.

2. - Started the car and used a temperature gun. - All cylinders were running about 170. Some variation but not much. To him this said all cylinders are Ok (NO dead cylinders). He runs cars at the track and I figured it wouldn't hurt.

3. - Replaced every cap on all vac lines.

4. - Tried with and without the vac advance (the only vac source used. Tried to eliminate a leaky dist vacuum andvance can.

5. - Removed the fan belt to eliminate the fan and alternator as a source of noise.

Tried to use heater hose to dial in on the noise. - - We couldn't.

I had my son make a video but I don't know how to Download to the computer. Will post back later when he gets home.

I plan to change the intake manifold - but how do I know that I haven't caused another problem? - The noise is real loud, and I am hoping I didn't get dirt into a bearing or something. The only other thing I determined was that when I crank the motor with no coil hooked up, I don't hear a noise. That would seem to tell me it has to be a vacuum leaak. I am hoping I am right.

Thanks to all.

P,S. - - - If I get an intake for the 2 barrel heads should I get gaskets that cover the

cross-over section of the heads? The set I got this time were for 2 bar heads and made by Felt=Pro.

Thanks -- The car did seem like it was running much better and if not for the noise I think she may be able to cruise.

Thanks. - - P.D.

Just a thought but is the noise coming from the flywheel area? You have cranked the starter so much the last few weeks that maybe the starter drive gear is not pulling back when you let off the switch and making contact with the flywheel. Is it a manual transmission? Throw-out bearings can make a wicked squeel also. Sound can travel and fool you sometimes.

I would figure out the noise first and go to Summit Racing and order a intake with a instalation kit. It will come with the correct gaskets. If the x-over is open then fine, If it's closed then fine. Not much to worry about there. If it's open it will just help warm the intake up quicker on cold starts which is a good thing with a Cleveland. They are cold natured because of the dry intake. If it's closed it will take a little more run time before the intake warms to OT. Some like to block it off (me) because it will keep the intake cooler and make more power. But it is just a personal choice and for what your car is used for I would leave it open.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Hello SlimeGold 69,

Boy you sure have lots of great ideas. I don't think it is from the starter but will check.

At this point anything is possible.

Yes it is a stick and the throw-out bearing never mad noise before but I will check to be sure. I think if I step on the clutch if it is the bearing it would stop or change. Am I correct. From the video can you see how hard it is to isolate.

I am starting to look for an intake - it does seem to change with a little rev and seems like it is from within the motor. I agree the damn sound will travel and it is hard to figure. Checking the starter and throw-out should be simple so I'll start there.

You and others on this forum have been very kind. Thanks for hanging with the old nut.

I would be pretty lost without you people.

Print Dad

Hello SlimeGold 69,

Boy you sure have lots of great ideas.

LOL. I don't know about that:001_huh:. Look how long we have been at this?!? From a distance I'm just throwing out sugestions from what I have seen cause problems.

I don't think those two things I sugested are the noise. Before maybe but now after hearing the noise from the vid I'm 99.9% sure it's sucking air. But at this point???:blink: