Sign in to follow this  
Sidthing

Two questions

I have two questions that have been nagging me for years, but always forget to ask.

1. Will coupe glass work in a fastback?

I scored some 70 coupe glass and was wanting to put the bolt in, in my 69 fastback, my 69 and 70 door glass is stored at different garages and I don't like moving glass.

2. Are FMX trannys worth anything?

I've heard that they are crap, and I've heard they are stout and can handle abuse. I have at least three sitting on a shelf in my garage, and have been hanging on to them in case by chance I run into a Ford guy that wants them. I hate scrapping rebuildable cores but don't want to wast precious space. On that note if anyone around Cincinnati wants to give me $50 there are at least three FMXs with your name on them.

2. I wouldn't use a FMX in a car I was building from scratch unless I was taking it back to 100% original. FMX's are a durable transmission that came out in the late 50's I believe with a cast iron (heavy as hell) case and strong guts that worked fine in many early 351 Stangs. I would however use a more modern transmission first tho.. be it a C4,C6 or AOD in a street car because more aftermarket parts are available. Don't scrap them. I'm sure you could sell them to someone.

!) I wouldn't bet on the glass transfering directly. I've had different Fords that needed some coddling to get the glass to fit. (not for a Mustang, but in principle, you can't assume it will fit.)

2) I've heard that there is a 'trick' to getting the most out of an FMX. it does involve getting into the "guts". But I've heard that it turns the AOD (DOA) tranny into the beast it can be. (Some tech writer online or in the prehistoric 'print' days thought that one up. AOD backwards is DOA.)

BTW, I'm looking for an FMX. Apparently, mine had been replaced by the previous owner with a C6.