Sign in to follow this  
kweston

So took the stang out for a spin today, and this is what happened...

I need help guys,

I usually drive my mustang to the gym each afternoon, which is no joke, less than a mile away.

Well I'm just accelerating down the road and all of the sudden my whole front left fender is ripped off! The belt in the tire has shredded and was slapping the fender! I wasn't going any faster than 40mph. I know half the people are going to say dry rot caused it, but they are no more than a couple years old. It shouldn't do that! It has never been wet since I've had it.

The bad part is since its still partly under "restoration" just minor details, and Im still redoing the interior, but it never affected the over all driving to and from the gym.

The only insurance I had on it was liability, since a 351 Mustang and 20 year old don't go well together in the insurance companies eyes. Its the only way I could afford it, and NEVER thought anything would happen driving less than a mile a couple times a week!

I need advice, I really dont want to sell it just because I cant afford to repair it, but I am in college and money is tight.

Can the tire company be contacted for faulty manufacturing?

I'm just shooting in the dark in desperation... :sad:

Thanks in advance

I can't imagine that the damage is 'that' bad, that you can't put it together enough until you have the cash. Can you post some pictures? By the way, you can get classic insurance for probably about $10-$20 month depending on what you think the car is worth.

If you know the tires are only a few years old, then you probably know where they came from. If you have your receipt I would start with where I bought them.

I had Dunlop GT Qualifiers on my Fox body that broke a cord and it had a big lump on the sidewall near the tread. Qualifiers were real sticky (this was in lik 1991) but if you got them turning they left serious rubber on the road! :scared: The lump felt like a bent axle at low speeds. I went back to where I had bought them, only the spring before. He wouldnt replace the tire because there was no tread left so he knew I was burning them all the time. I think his words were, "Holy shit, what the the hell have you been doing to these things?" :whistling: Anyway, he agreed that particular tire was bad and may have failed anyway and offered half off the same tire replacement.

I opted for BFG's instead.

:surrender:Anyway, dont sell it you just need a fender and a tire!

I can't imagine that the damage is 'that' bad, that you can't put it together enough until you have the cash. Can you post some pictures? By the way, you can get classic insurance for probably about $10-$20 month depending on what you think the car is worth.

I wish insurance was that cheap, I have 2 tickets and they won't insure you=( or me i should say=)