Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Greasy rear end on 20 year sleeper

Yep, that's the best title I could come up with before my coffee :)

There is a lot of "grease" (or at least what looks like a grease stain?) on the bell housing of my differential. This car hasn't driven in 20 years and has only rolled a few feet onto a trailer and into my driveway in those same 20.

I've taken a close-up picture from the rear of the car. I'm trying to build a list of things I need to expect to replace, but I'm way out of my depth on understanding what this might mean.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions on what to replace, repair, ignore, etc.

Tom

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff#5376144338491607090

that looks like normal seepage for a 40 year old car, as long as the diff has the correct amount of gear oil it should be fine. to check it remove the plug on the pumpkin and stick your finger in the hole, if you can feel oil about 1/8" or so down from the bottom of that hole there's plenty of gear oil in it.

Chicago Rawhide - part # CR 18833. Been there, even on a new Moser 9" I had a few leakers before I got one to seal. Be careful installing it - it's a crush sleeve so make sure it's "square" and use a cordless drill to tighten it down. Electric drills might be too much torque.

Thank God thats settled, every time I see this topic I get visions of a bad adult magazine cartoon of Sleeping Beauty with a line of Princes behind her with their draws dropped waiting for their turn.