Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Dash Pad Cracks - any repair?

Hello once again,

Our 70 Mach 1 is having a few problems. Sports light switch must be fixed.

I think I may have to remove the dash pad.

Now for the question: The dash pad has a few cracks that run horizontal across above the glove compartment. I know this is not a common crack,

but the area around the speaker is perfect.

Is there some sort of product that I could use to make a decent repair if I have to remove the dash pad? I know I should get a new one but right now $$$ is an issue and the old girl needs tires, shocks and may rebuild the front end.

I know that nothing will be as good as replacing but I would like to do a pretty good repair.

Thanks...... Print Dad

Hey Print Dad, I researched this a little bit for my son's car as his dash pad was cracked pretty badly. I wound up buying a replacement only because I found on on Craigslist for real cheap, but in case you didn't know, they make a hard plastic "shell" that fits snugly right over the top. It's a lot cheaper than a new dash pad and I'm told they look really good.

As far as actually repairing the cracks, I don't know. You'd think some kind of plastic filler would be a start, but it would be tough to get that to match the surface finish.

Good luck.

Tom

If you have the time and patience and not looking for something completely invisible, there have been vinyl and leather repair kits on the market for many years now, here are just a few, some as seen on TV and it's a pretty cheap gamble.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Departments/Repair-and-Recoloring-Kits.aspx

That said, the cheapest way around it to avoid the $300-$400 bite on a whole new dash is to either get one of those carpet covers that cost about $30-$40 (but look crappy IMHO) or to go with economic plastic coverlay as Tom mentioned that at least still looks stock in appearance and just doesn't feel supple to the touch, they go for around $70-$80.

I have one in brand new condition that I have wanted to sell for some time. I was plenty happy with it over my old cracked dash for about 2 years and probably would still be using it had I not received a huge bundle of cash from my accident and rebuilt my car form the bottom up and finally splurged on the new dash. I don't know where you live but the last time I had it sold for like $50 the deal went sour because I couldn't manage to find reasonable shipping since it's oversized even though it weighed like 2lbs. If you were local enough and interested though it would be worth it or if I could now find a reasonable way to ship it I would split it with you or negotiate, whatever.

I just used one of those $80 dash caps on my 69 coupe that was in really bad shape and am very happy with the results. There are a few areas that the old dash shows around the edge but not noticable at all unless you lean under teh dash and it made the mustang look 100% better. For those on a tight budget, its worth considering.