Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

Electric fan controller, have some questions

Well I have read a bunch of threads and such and am at the point now where I have a few questions. I have a fan out of a police interceptor and I am unsure of the amperage draw, but I assume it is over 40 as it is an 18 inch fan. I want to have a controller that can adjust from 160-200 or more, and be overridden, so I can make it stay on non-stop for track days and such. Anyone know of any? I have been looking on Summit and Jegs and don't see much, or at least see anything rated for high amperage. I also was looking at the DCC controllers and the SPAL but they don't support the higher current draw fans.

This is the only one I saw rated semi high, but I am not sure if it will be enough:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-33054?part=FLX-33054

Wish I could help you, but I run mine through a Relay and a switch, when my temp gets close to 180 I turn on the fan, if I need to leave it on after a run or a track day, its easy to do.

The controllers are one more point of failure in my opinion. So I prefer to manually turn my fan off and on

NPD makes a thermostat mounting capable of mounting a temp sending unit where I selected one from Painless with the Painless fan wiring kit. When it hits 180 - fan's on......

The only thing else I will do is wire a switch to it so when I shut the car off I can run the fan is so desired.

Simple is sweet!

I agree with jc69stang, I have my fan direct wired to a switch panel and if the car gets up to 180 I can just flick it on. Not only is it great control but it also is a very simple system to set up, and reliable.

I do like the idea of having complete control, but I also don't want to be oblivious one time and forget to turn it on and overheat the crap out of the car. So I would like to get one that will turn on by itself. But then again if I'm on the highway and it's up over 180 I don't want the fan running as the air coming through the rad at that point is probably moving faster anyway.

hmmm ok how would I hook up this relay system if I decided to go that route? Hook the fan to power, put a relay in line with a switch and run it? What relpays and switches did you guys use?

NPD makes a thermostat mounting capable of mounting a temp sending unit where I selected one from Painless with the Painless fan wiring kit. When it hits 180 - fan's on......

The only thing else I will do is wire a switch to it so when I shut the car off I can run the fan is so desired.

Simple is sweet!

do you have links to these parts? Also is the temp adjustable as I wouldn't want the fan on until about 185-190 or it might be on way to often when it doesn't need to be for regular street driving.

The idea of a temp sensor that turns the fan on and off is great, but the aftermarket ones fail pretty often! Mine failed within a few months on my old car, i replaced it, and it failed again in two months after that. I just used the switch from then on. I have several friends that all had the same experience.

That being said, when i get up the $ to go electric in the 69, i'll prob get a temp sensor, but it'll prob also fail again...

I am a forgetful person. If it was completely manual control I'd forget to turn in on/off.

With any of those automatic fan controllers it would be easy to install an "overide" switch in the dash that you let you set it to "auto" or "on". When you buy one, post up the wiring diagram and I'll show you how.

Yeah I would prefer to be able to turn it on myself, but also have it auto because I definitly forget a lot of things haha. It almost looks like I am stuck with the radiator temp thing that you stick through the fins. I read so many things about them not being accurate at all, are those a bad route to go?

Do any of these fan setups have a kill switch so that if the car running say 180 on the highway and really doesn't need the fan on, I can turn it off? I am worried that the car will never go below a certain temp on the highway and it will burn itself out fighting the wind on the highway. I know new cars automatically kill the fans over 40mph or so using the speed sensor but I See now way my car will be able to do this.

Do any of these fan setups have a kill switch so that if the car running say 180 on the highway and really doesn't need the fan on, I can turn it off? I am worried that the car will never go below a certain temp on the highway and it will burn itself out fighting the wind on the highway. I know new cars automatically kill the fans over 40mph or so using the speed sensor but I See now way my car will be able to do this.

I've never seen the option with any of these kits.

However, you should be able to add this yourself... sorta.

You could install one of those RPM-activated safety switches like they use in Nitrous kits. Have the switch activate at say 1500-2000RPM to kill the fan.

Not a true measurement of speed tho.