Sign in to follow this  
bullingju0

Weight Loss Program

Before I call Jenny Craig, i've been trying to knock as much useless weight out of my car as possible.

Other than going all fiberglass parts (which I have done somewhat) lets bust out the torch and figure what can stay and what can go. My Trans/engine setup is pretty light as most is aluminum, what sort of things can I look at getting rid of, or getting ligher versions of?

Thanks

I guess it really depends on how radical you want to get or what kind of budget you have and if you are talking about shaving every gram possible or just big things. A Fab9 rearend will drop about 5lbs. and glass leaf springs I would think weight less. There's always the rear seat, you could lose all the side windows and hardware and if you don't like wind then put in stationary plexi panels. Only buy 5 gallons of gas at a time or make a custom smaller tank. If you have AC you can dlete that and or the heater core sytem. I wouldn't want to start drilling holes thru all the frame rails and stuff but they certainly did back in the day when safety wasn't in the spotlight.

This will mainly be a street car, but anything I can do to give it that little extra 100th of a second at the track would be awesome :shifty:

I've already deleted a/c and power steering, and I'm not a fan of swiss cheesin my frame. Mainly I have just been rooting through the car looking for useless/extra devices.

I realize that most of if not more of the weight I get out will be put back in with bracing and a roll cage, but it's still worth it in my mind!

Yea, fuel cell and aluminum radiator, battery to the trunk, easy up shocks on the front for weight transfer. Just as your stating on the frame swiss cheese, don't forsake safety on the fuel lines to save weight, steel braided is exspensive and heavy, but safe when it comes to gasolene fires!

I also got a good freind at work on crutches, due to a auto trans converter detonating at 1/2 rpm in a 62 unibody 1/2 ford drag truck, caged, 500 ci, wheely bars and with a nos. It was on motor only at the time it took his right heel off. No mater what, put a scatter sheild on it!

Edited by d.reese

your best place to lose weight is in the wheel and tire department. use weld or cragar drag lite wheels and the skinniest tires you can get away with up front and nylon/polyester bias ply racing rubber out back. lose as much extra bracing as you can and still have the car hold together, stuff like outer bumper brackets can get the can and you can also swiss cheese the inner bumper brackets, use lightweight glass fenders, headlight buckets and use a lift off pin on 'glass hood and ditch the hood hinges, hood latch, etc. replace the front seats with aluminum or plastic racing buckets and ditch the rear seat altogether. use aluminum interior panels and throw out all the carpet underlay and sound deadening, pare the electrical system down to basic functions and use a wiring harness that gets rid of everything but headlights, taillights, turn signals, wipers, horn and ignition circuits. use glass only on the windshield and polycarbonate everywhere else, get rid of all the window crank mechanisms and just use straps attached to the windows so they'll go up and down

I find alot of folks don't always consider the driver himself when contemplating these things, what are you weighing in at these days? :whistling:

Haha! I've been eating very healthy so at least that one is covered :clap:

Bnickle's got quite a list there

I already cut out the gas tank and went with a fuel cell, I also built a new trunk floor that doesn't drop down like the original, probably only lost like 1 pound of metal but it gives me more clearance underneath and i like the way it looks.

I was thinking of doing the polycarbonate instead of glass, anyone got any good suppliers?

The wiring system is pretty much bare, no radio, (like i could hear it anyway), no heater but I may put one back in, the pacific NW doesn't get too cold but it's nice to take my wife to dinner in winter without piling on the sweaters, I got rid of the original fusebox and put in a much simpler, smaller version. Plus, I am getting rid of the inner headlights ( I know, I know, so kill me Pakrat) I saw cphsonic's grill and I think I'll do something along those lines. It should weigh a little less and I really like the way it looks.

Thanks for all the advice guys, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything tricky to lose a few extra pounds.

Something on the side, Is it possible to tint Lexan?

I heard something about dying it the color you want, and that you can't film tint it because it releases gas and the tint will bubble.

I don't see why not, the ricers use special spray on tints for their tailight and headlight covers all the time.