Sign in to follow this  
CG in TX

Converting 3 Speed to 4 Speed Automatic

I am considering changing my 3 speed automatic for a 4 speed automatic (C4 to AOD) to keep good low end but also have lower rpm at highway speeds. Has anyone out there done this and was it worth the $$$ and effort?

What engine do you have? if you have an FE ford never made an AOD that will fit it, I'm pretty sure the same goes for the 351C mid block but I'm not sure.

If you drive your car a lot at high speeds I bet it would be nice if originality isn't an issue. you'd have to drive a lot to save enough gas to pay for the swap would be my thoughts.

Originality is not really an issue - good drivability is. The car is an S code that came with a 351 not running, a project car. I am replacing the engine with the big block it should have and have to buy a transmission anyway. Performance Automatic builds a AOD 4 speed automatic that fits the FE for a few hundred $$ more than a C4 or C6.

Interesting , the FE was gone long before the AOD came out and the 385 series transmissions wont bolt to it.

They either have an aftermarket case or there's a way to adapt the AOD guts in it. in any event it should work fine if you get the driveshaft and crossmember and shifter figured out.

Hard to beat the old C6 I'm happy with it for a performance transmission, but for a long distance cruiser it's hard to argue an overdrive gear wouldn't be nice.

i did the swap back in february. DEFINITELY worth it! my girlfriend moved an hour away and i drive out there 2-3 times a week. with the stock 2.75's in the back and my fmx, i was spinning 2600rpm at 70mph. it would take a little more than half a tank round trip. the swap got me 1600rpm at 70mph and now only takes 1/3 tank. i spent more than expected but i dont regret it. its my daily driver.