Sign in to follow this  
zach69grande

Tearing into a 69 grande

Here are some pics of the little gal i brought home.

69 grande with a 302, 4v, edelbrock performer intake, cam, c4 .... nothing special but it's in great shape to start

Here's a link to my photo gallery online

http://picasaweb.google.com/zach.coss/1969Mustang?feat=directlink

i'll try to post some pics in the thread when i get a chance

-Z

Nope. it's a California car originally. Fella brought it over from Cali to PA about 2 years ago and now has some serious rheumatoid arthritis so he sold it...

so far there are a few little leaks - heater core, tranny pan, and oil pan plug drips a touch... need to add some gauges - maybe a new cluster,

The fuel gauge is the only one not working at all.

floor pans are awesome, body is awesome. needs some interior work, a little clean up in the steering and some solid engine dress up. the engine was rebuilt but they didn't paint the block or anything like that.

man i cant wait to get into this thing

thanks guys

z

Thanks for the kind words!

So far i've gone through and retorqued some things, replaced the auto shifter, fuel filler neck, cleaned, degreased etc.

i'm dripping a little oil from the oil pan plug, probably need a new tranny pan gasket, and i have to swap out the heater core.

after that i need to get a new headlight switch and oil pressure sender...

once i get those things done i'm going to drive the ole gal for a month or so until the weather turns brisk again then form some plan to get it all wrapped up..

I think i'll start at the front, get the suspension redone, hit new exhaust... win the lottery...

As i'm looking into the interior options...anybody know where to find brushed aluminum panels for the clock surround and door panels and console? i dig the brushed gauge cluster JME makes..but everythings gotta match up when i'm done..

Anyone know where to find them, or have pictures of their own?

Zach, here is a pic of my 69 Coupe, a nothing special 302, auto. Since the pics the headlight buckets, splash pan, & the gravel pan are on & the whole f/e is primed red. Making slow progress. Right now I am just collecting parts.

I'm glad mine didn't have the vinyl top - just not a fan.

So far i've gotten a lot of little things out of the way. I replaced the oil pan, sending units etc.. this weekend i hope to do the heater core, chase down a few other little things...maybe get the fuel gauge working..

I've started two lists. the first is stuff i know i want fixed just to drive it around this summer, the second is how i plan to rebuild it.

i think first i'm going to aim for the underbody. clean it up, paint the frame, replace suspension and exhaust.

then probably steering and brakes

after that i'll redo the interior- upholstry, stereo, gauges and trunk. I want to do brushed aluminum accents..

then someday i'll get the body stripped and painted, and the engine cleaned up and painted and the tranny beefed up and replaced.

the goal is to have it done by the time i retire. i'm 30 now. so i bought my retirement present a bit early.

Normally, I could take or leave a full vinyl top but those tops that only cover part of the roof look especially bad, IMO. I was still tempted by the Grande I looked at because it was a little unusual according to what I gleaned off the internet. Apparently there aren't an abundance of '70 Grandes out there (compared to '69 and '71-'73), and fewer still with a 351 (most '69-'70 Grandes are 302s, apparently) and the 3/4 vinyl top. It was an interesting car, but not that attractive and one with some rust issues for too high a price.

Nice looking car!

Not to hijack your thread, but i see your rear glass trim is painted body color. Mine is too. Is this how it came from the factory, or is it supposed to be satin black?

There's never any Original Coupe rear pics on the net to tell. Anyone know?

Nice looking car!

Not to hijack your thread, but i see your rear glass trim is painted body color. Mine is too. Is this how it came from the factory, or is it supposed to be satin black?

There's never any Original Coupe rear pics on the net to tell. Anyone know?

It's black from the factory

well.. i got tired of the wood grain on the door panels.. and tired of looking for aftermarket inserts... i found that if you peel the wood grain vinyl thingie off...you get this..

Zach, I found the pic in the gallery that I mentioned to you in the PM you sent me that did this to the dash .

IMG_0682.jpg

I was just thinking of doing something like that to my dash. How was that done Pak?

Is there a company that sells a stainless kit like that?

Jayru,

Peel off the wood grain. Above i posted a pic of what my door panel looked like afterward - i started the clock bezel last night, when i'm done it will look like the above. One of the door panels peeled right off... the clock and other side have been hellacious, but the first one was too easy...

Are all interiors the same? My bezel was painted black over the woodgrain by the PO, but it seems to be plastic with nothing to peel off. I don't think there is anything metal under there.

I can see a woodgrain pattern in some areas where he was light with the black paint though. Anybody know?

Edited by Jayru

ugh.. that pic stinks too... stupid camera...er..phone... engine bay is lookin sharp. now I can cruise for another month then park it and start on the front brakes (rears are done), fuel lines, brake lines, painting the under body, transmission rear seal, Ujoints... suspension... good grief..

Is that a rodworx air cleaner cover? Your's looks similar to the way I detailed mine except at the last minute I went with a different lid than the planned rodworx one and kept my stock base with it.