Sign in to follow this  
opie_803

winter project finally done!

Oh right, I forgot you got a vintage tach, the new repro ones come with a white face option. I also didn't realize that you had a 71' 351C in there so I guess the CJ is legit after all. No wonder I didn't remember the headlight buckets being black, you did a nice clean job on that for a DIY, I'm surprised you didn't take it to the tail light panel too.

Well again the car looks fantastic, nice work. I thought it looked good when you first got it but it's a two thumbs up now for sure.:thumbup:

Yeah and on the subject of hood tachs also, did you just bolt it to the hood? It seems to me there should be a rubber gasket between them but the repo's don't come with one and I have never seen one either.

Yeah and on the subject of hood tachs also, did you just bolt it to the hood? It seems to me there should be a rubber gasket between them but the repo's don't come with one and I have never seen one either.

it is a hood tach from a buick gs. i just bolted it to the hood after cutting that dreaded hole in the hood. there was not a rubber gasket with it either. i went with the GM hood tach because i liked the lower profile and availability.

Imitation is the best compliment - the mods you've made are almost exactly what I'm looking to do to my tangerine orange droptop. As an interesting side note, I too have a 351C swap, but mine is mated to a POS C6 which will be short lived...

Anyway, two questions:

1. How did you do the headlight buckets - what paint, steps, etc.? I'm looking to black out the tail as well, and wondering if those mods are something I should take on, or pay to have done better.

2. What are the wheel/tire sizes for front and back? I want to get rid of the 2006 Mustang rims and 215/65R/16s that the prior owner installed, and liked the look of yours.

thanks,

the headlight buckets were taped off and scuffed with a scotch-brite pad. i used a matte/satin black paint to spray them. i may get around to blacking out the rear panel later but have also considered the LED shelby tail panel as an option also but that is much later down the road.

the wheels are 18x8.5 (front) and 18x9.5 (rear). tires are 245-45-18 and 275-40-18. i used 1 inch spacers all the way around due to the lack of backspacing. other wheels may have better back spacing but i like these.

Opie - Thanks for the reply. So I assume you clear front/back with no rubbing issues?

One other question - the seat choice is perfect. They look stock, but with the side supports are clearly modern tech. Were those aftermarket or from a donor car? Any advice you can provide about choosing seats and fitting the rails would be helpful. The Fiero seats that some people have discussed seem a bit too modern for my taste, but the late '80s Camaro seats seem to fit the OEM seat styleing better.

JD

I have done well then young grasshopper, those are fiero seats that have been redone to match the factory seats. the seat covers were made by mrmikes.com. he does great work and provides all the materials needed to install them yourself.

as for the clearance issues, i did trim the lower front corners of the front fender well but you cant tell it. i did it more for personal reassurance than necessity.

Edited by opie_803

I have been watching this build for a while. I was saving to get the work done on my 69 but along comes Opie with his DIY, first timer, I'll give it a try attitude! Now I have to try and do it myself! May take longer but I am now inspired. Running the circuit for the new MIG this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration and great results you got. I am planning on copying/stealing many of your ideas. Will probably be contacting you in the near future with questions. It turned out awesome. BTW, I will search and see if I have a tach gasket. I'm a reformed Pontiyacker of many years just don't remember where I put everything.

thanks b-man. i am very happy with the end result. i have also taken ideas from others on here. there are so many different tastes and ways to go.

feel free to contact me anytime.

btw, my first car was a 65 lemans vert. i wish i could locate it but i guess it is just a part of the past. good memories!!!