Sign in to follow this  
Burn

The paint is flowing. Finally!

Thanks, Stangme428! The block still wasn’t ready, but maybe later this week.

I got a few more things done over the Thanksgiving weekend. Painted, painted and painted a little more. My index finger was hurting like a somebitch!

The black parts are painted Eastwood under hood black. Seems like pretty good stuff. I’ve been using it on a lot of the misc parts. The Mach 1 rocker panels are painted Dark Argent (NPD AP-GPA) and the same paint went on the Grill and Headlight bezels. I use DuPont QuickPrime on all the bare aluminum Rocker panels before the paint. I hope it does the job.

I found some obsolete Plasti-Kote 224 Ford Corporate Blue at the local CARQUEST that I'm going to paint the engine block, heads, etc. I heard it’s a decent match to the original Ford Corp Blue and holds up pretty good.

Thanks guys for all the great comments.

This past weekend I finally got the motor back from the machine shop. Its a 1971 351W; Bored .030 over with Speed Pro ZH336CP - Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons. The block was decked .022 from 9.503 to 9.48 for zero deck with these pistons. ARP main studs, Cloyes double roller timing chain, PAW reconditioned stock football rods; Clevit bearings. Final CR will be 9.4:1 with the World Windsor Sr. Heads. Camshaft is a Lunati solid lifter 410A1LUN. I'm hoping to have the engine assembled and in the car over my X-mas vacation.

Other items finished were the Honeycomb panel and rear bumper to finish the rear of the car. I also installed the door roof rail stainless steel, weather stripping and both the rear 1/4 windows. The 1/4 windows are a bitch. I'm not really done with them just yet. :surrender:

The progress is picking back up.

Let’s see, I’m almost finished reassembling the dash and steering column. I took it all apart; media blasted and repainted it all. New bearings and grease should make the steering real nice.

This week I’ll have the transmission pressure plate bolts delivered. I had to order these special since no one in town had them. They have to be "shoulder" bolts to keep alignment of the plate correct and true. (edit: Mr. Gasket #911)

After I have the clutch installed I'm going to bolt up the 4-speed and the motor will be ready to stab in.

I've also been spending my income tax refund on new harnesses for the whole car. I decide to have Midlife Harness Restorations restore my under dash harness since I couldn’t afford a brand new one. The other harnesses (engine, taillight, head light, hood scoop turn signal, and door speaker) are all brand new purchased from CJ Pony and John’s Mustang. The new harnesses look original and have stock plugs. I debated on getting the Painless Kit, but I really wanted a painless experience and a stock look. I ended up paying a little over $100 more than if I went with the Painless kit.

Next is to start buying some interior stuff. I think I’ll go with the ACC carpet and TMI seat covers. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with either of these brands?

Edited by Burn
added bolt part #

The engine and transmission are in! I had to modify one of the header tubes on the drivers side to get the z bar to work properly. I hope it doesn't hurt the performance too much. It's about half the original diameter.

I'll be working on installing the dash and steering column today.

Awwww!!! It looks like a real car again!

Over the weekend I finished installing the front valance, Mach 1 grill and bumper. Last night I sweated my A$$ off while I installed the lower dash and some Reflectix (Thanks for the idea, Pakrat!). The Reflextix is some great stuff and its really easy to work with. I laid it down over the home made lizard skin floor pans. Now I"m ready for the carpet.

Tonight I plan on installing the restored steering column and finish hooking up the wiring.

Edited by Burn

Awwww!!! It looks like a real car again!

Over the weekend I finished installing the front valance, Mach 1 grill and bumper. Last night I sweated my A$$ off while I installed the lower dash and some Reflectix (Thanks for the idea, Pakrat!). The Reflextix is some great stuff and its really easy to work with. I laid it down over the home made lizard skin floor pans. Now I"m ready for the carpet.

Tonight I plan on installing the restored steering column and finish hooking up the wiring.

Edited by Burn

Glad that Reflectix worked out, it is amazingly easy to work with, it just takes any shape surprisingly well. Because I used the metal tape on all my seams I could even remove it in one piece now as a giant molded to fit part.

That header pipe scares me a tad too, very restrictive now. I have long tubes, no idea what make they are but I refinished and reused them because that pipe on mine goes way out in the opposite direction allowing my Z bar to run inbetween the pipes. Makes removal a huge pain if you aren't pulling the whole engine but maintains the right flow at least.

Glad that Reflectix worked out, it is amazingly easy to work with, it just takes any shape surprisingly well. Because I used the metal tape on all my seams I could even remove it in one piece now as a giant molded to fit part.

That header pipe scares me a tad too, very restrictive now. I have long tubes, no idea what make they are but I refinished and reused them because that pipe on mine goes way out in the opposite direction allowing my Z bar to run inbetween the pipes. Makes removal a huge pain if you aren't pulling the whole engine but maintains the right flow at least.

They're Hedman 88650 and are supposed fit a '70, 351w, 4-speed. I guess my aftermarket heads throw off the header geometry a little bit. The only other header I heard that works with my setup is the Long tube Hooker Super Comp's. Those are over $500...I got the Headmans for $75! I'll leave them as is for now.

I plan on taping up the Reflectix seams as well. Last night I laid a drop light on it for about 5 minutes (by accident) and It didn't even heat up the Reflectix. I know that stuff is going to work great.

I also finished hooking up the under dash harness and installed the steering column last night. There's a lot of play in the steering box right now. I'll probably end up buying a new one or fork out the $$$ for a rack and pinion setup.

They're Hedman 88650 and are supposed fit a '70, 351w, 4-speed. I guess my aftermarket heads throw off the header geometry a little bit. The only other header I heard that works with my setup is the Long tube Hooker Super Comp's. Those are over $500...I got the Headmans for $75! I'll leave them as is for now.

I plan on taping up the Reflectix seams as well. Last night I laid a drop light on it for about 5 minutes (by accident) and It didn't even heat up the Reflectix. I know that stuff is going to work great.

I also finished hooking up the under dash harness and installed the steering column last night. There's a lot of play in the steering box right now. I'll probably end up buying a new one or fork out the $$$ for a rack and pinion setup.

No, I doubt it will blow up. However most folks use headers for better breathing/performance. How the restricted tube translates into power, who knows w/o a dyno and 2 sets of headers. My brother found out upon rebuild that his 289 Mustang had 3 different weight and compression ratio pistons. Still ran like a bat outta hell. If me, I'd cut out the area of tube with interference and weld in a piece which fits your application. Bob.

No, I doubt it will blow up. However most folks use headers for better breathing/performance. How the restricted tube translates into power, who knows w/o a dyno and 2 sets of headers. My brother found out upon rebuild that his 289 Mustang had 3 different weight and compression ratio pistons. Still ran like a bat outta hell. If me, I'd cut out the area of tube with interference and weld in a piece which fits your application. Bob.