Sign in to follow this  
03GT69

99-04 8.8 rear under a 69

Has anyone put an eight - eight under a 69/70 before? I'm just looking to swap ideas/issues and also share ideas about wheel backspacing choices.

I know from measuring the old 8 inch as well as the new 8.8 that the 8.8 is wider (roughly 3/4 of an inch on both sides) - but what I'm really interested in finding out is what kind of wheel backspacing anyone who has done this has gone with. Pictures of fitment would be much appreciated if available.

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Edited by 03GT69

Are you sure you have a 99-04 8.8". I only ask as most people say that a Fox 8.8 (79-93) is the same width as a 67-70 rear (or close to it), and the 94-98 cars had roughly 3/4" wider on each axle than 79-93, then the 99-04 cars are supposed to be 3/4" wider on each axle than the 94-98 cars. If that's right, the 94-98 might be what you have.

If that's right and you've got a 94-98 rear, you would have the wheels pushed in slightly 1/4" in from the 1" spacers everyone runs to use newer style wheels.

Edited by Chappy

You could go back a little older and use a 86-93 8.8 from a 5.0 stang and swap in 5 lug axles fairly cheap. The older 8.8's are closer if not perfect in size so wheel bacspace is not a problem. Car Craft done one a few months ago in a 67. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_ford_8_8_rear_end/index.html

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Thanks for the replies. I am positive the rear end is out of an 04. From wms to wms measures 61.625 inches. I found a modern magnum 500 rim that is marketed to the 05 and up guys with the perfect backspacing that I am considering. See here if interested:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-magnum-18x10.html?utm_content=05-magnum-18x10&utm_campaign=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

Yesterday I mocked up a backspace/offset tool out of some old aluminum stock and some wire to test out the measurements/backspace and tire section width, and it appears as though it will work out nicely.

When I got the rear end under the car and on the spring perches, I mounted the 17 x 10.5's from my 03, and they looked really goofy (I knew they would, I am just really anxious to see the car on the ground with some nice rolling stock after being a shell for so long). :001_smile:

So with that rear bolted up with the 17x10.5s installed things fit/cleared well? That might be more incentive for me to get an 8.8 instead of a 9" if it does. My plan is to use 17x10.5s or 18x10s in the rear, same backspacing for the 94-04 cars. I've got an 04 with a set of FR500 18x10s on the back that I was planning on unbolting for initial measurements... but that's pretty far down my list right now. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I am positive the rear end is out of an 04. From wms to wms measures 61.625 inches. I found a modern magnum 500 rim that is marketed to the 05 and up guys with the perfect backspacing that I am considering. See here if interested:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-magnum-18x10.html?utm_content=05-magnum-18x10&utm_campaign=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

Yesterday I mocked up a backspace/offset tool out of some old aluminum stock and some wire to test out the measurements/backspace and tire section width, and it appears as though it will work out nicely.

When I got the rear end under the car and on the spring perches, I mounted the 17 x 10.5's from my 03, and they looked really goofy (I knew they would, I am just really anxious to see the car on the ground with some nice rolling stock after being a shell for so long). :001_smile:

How about the front though? Can you match the rears and not have to use a huge 2"+ spacer?

So with that rear bolted up with the 17x10.5s installed things fit/cleared well? That might be more incentive for me to get an 8.8 instead of a 9" if it does. My plan is to use 17x10.5s or 18x10s in the rear, same backspacing for the 94-04 cars. I've got an 04 with a set of FR500 18x10s on the back that I was planning on unbolting for initial measurements... but that's pretty far down my list right now. ;)

The 17x10.5's stuck out too far...it might have looked okay on a mulletized 3rd gen camaro, but not so much on our cars. If your goal is to run the 17x10.5, go with a fox 8.8 - the only thing you'd have to watch out for is whether or not the inside of the tire will clear the front-lower inner wheel house.

How about the front though? Can you match the rears and not have to use a huge 2"+ spacer?

I sure hope so,:laugh:...the same company does have an 18x9 in the same style that I am going to mock up and try out on the front. I'll give updates as I get the measurements and specs all lined out.

I have been looking into puting an 8.8 in my car. Some things of interest I found out along the way. A lot of 8.8's come with 28-spinle axles which is ok if you run less than 400hp. From what I can gather on the net 94-99 mustangs got upgraded to 31-spline axles. I also found that ford explorers all have 31-spinle axles, but the pumpkin is offset. If you plan to have the rear narrowed it was much cheaper to find a explorer rear than a mustang and have the pumkin centered when it is narrowed. You will have to buy new axles but atleast they will be 31-spline which will hold more hp. The other nice feature of the explorer rear ends is they have lower gearing. Most mustangs had 3.23 or higher gears where I found 3.73 and 4.10s from explorers.

I put an 8.8 from a explorer in my 70. It has disk brakes and a posi. I had to move the spring perches but that's easy. I run 17x10.5 bullets with no spacer. I did have to bang in the inner wheel well a little.

Did you cut the rear down or run it stock width? Did the offset pumpkin cause any issues?