Sign in to follow this  
Wolfsburg

Reinstalling door glass...

Does anyone have any insight or advice as to how to reinstall door glass? I'm having one heck of a time getting my passenger side door window lined up right and I'm hesitant to glue anything in until I've got it "dry fitting" right. Are there any tricks to this? Also, once I get it lined up correctly, should I put glue in the "cradles" and then sit the glass down in there, or should I place the glass in first and then apply the glue?

This has been a bigger ordeal than I expected. I removed the glass to more easily replace some weather trim and remove some nasty old window tint, but I'm really wondering if its worth the trouble. I'm going to need to do something about the driver's side as well though.

Use the "search" tool and type in "Driver side window problem". Pakrat attached a Mustang Monthly article that will help you alot. I did this about two weeks ago and it turned out great. I put urethane in the channel and a thin bead on the glass and slide the window bracket onto the glass 3/4 on an inch in from the glass edge. Pay attention to the curve of the bracket in relation to the window as the article says. Let it sit overnite and slide it into the door the next day. Adjustments take time and patience since you will be aligning front to rear, the up top for the front and back and also tilt in and out at the front and back. I may have some pictures I can forward. I would not fill that channel up with urethane because it will push out and get everywhere. Not only that, but when you try pushing the bracket back onto the glass, it doesnt want to seat all the way. At least i had that problem. Even though i could not push hard enough to make it seat all the way down, it still aligned properly.

Pak. I tried to covert to the bolt in but could never get the glass to line up (inward tilt) and gave up. I could not figure out if it was the aftermarket glass causing the problem or what. I still have the new bolt in glass, brackets, etc., and was thinking about making another run at it but it is soooo aggravating. I ended up buying a drivers side OEM used glass on ebay. It fit fine but it is very scratched and I'm disappointed in it.

Pak. I tried to covert to the bolt in but could never get the glass to line up (inward tilt) and gave up. I could not figure out if it was the aftermarket glass causing the problem or what. I still have the new bolt in glass, brackets, etc., and was thinking about making another run at it but it is soooo aggravating. I ended up buying a drivers side OEM used glass on ebay. It fit fine but it is very scratched and I'm disappointed in it.

Well when I first got my car I had several window scratches all over it and I bought this Glass Polishing Kit from Whitneys and it worked great. It's gone up in price since I used it but cheaper than buying and replacing new windows and really does work.

My vote for highest paid 69 stang assembly workers goes to:

The side glass adjustment crew, especially on convertibles. I can only assume the dreams ----nightmares these guys and gals had at night. Heck they hadn't even invented light beer back then.