Sign in to follow this  
69GT

Paint opinion/question

What should be done with the hood?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done with the hood?

• Mach 1 blackout style
    • 70 Mach non-ram air stripes
    • Blank / free of design

Ok, so my mustang is finally at a body shop being worked on after deciding I didnt have the confidence or time to finish it up. I am already starting to pull together information for the paint guy but im hung up on a few things.

First, does anyone know where I can get the dimensions for the GT stripes on the bottom of the door?

So included below is a picture of my car before it got stripped down. Its a 69 GT but after looking at a diagram it looks like the stripes that were on it were for a 70 Mach 1 Non-Ram air? As far as I know those stripes were original is there any way to confirm that? I suppose the next part of my question is I was thinking of either having those stripes painted back on it or I was thinking of the Mach 1 blackout hood. I guess for the blackout hood on a GT I was looking for opinions. Is it unthinkable to put a blackout hood on a non Mach car? I really like the look of both the blackout and the stripes so I know I dont want to just leave the hood blank.

The car is going to be painted back to its original Acapulco Blue.

Any input would be appreciated.

DSC00804-1.jpg

Check this guy out. Sells on E-bay. Has the template for the Mach 1 stripes but will make any color combo you want. As my car is going to be Silver / Blk, he made a set of BLK only stripes (gold cut out) including the trunk stripe for $50!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-MACH-1-COMPLETE-STRIPE-KIT-GOLD-BLACK-NEW-NEW-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem320292803350QQitemZ320292803350

His ebay name is grafix65. It's worth checking it out - I'm glad I did....

unless you want your car to be in total original state, i don't really see a problem with the blackout hood.

if my hardtop had another color (it's black) i would have done that already, and i'm still thinking about doing it anyway. black dull stripes on a black glossy hood :punk:

but that's just my my2cents.gif

It is not unthinkable to put a black out hood on a non-mach car because the black out hood in 69 is not specific to the Mach One. GT's could have the black out hood as an option with the GT stripes between the tires along the bottom of the door. I have several Marti reports showing this to be true. Look on your data tag to see if the 5 is present after your color code. If it is then you had a factory black out hood. The black out hood will look good on your car if you are going with black GT stripes. If you go with another color GT stripe then you maybe getting too many colors on the body of the car. My car is a GT Convertible in Acapulco blue and I debated about the black out hood. Since my interior, top and GT stripes are white I decided against the black out hood on my car.

Edited by Topless69GT

Well Bnickel has an Acapulco Blue GT Coupe with the hood black out and the correct rocker panel black stripe and it looks anything but stupid, he even did the headlights and tail panel ala 302 boss. My vert was originally a plain jane but if you look in my sig pic it had the black out and the GT rocker stripe as well only my stripe was white to match the white top, too many colors maybe but I was not about to do a whiteout hood or change the top and the interior was black so I thought it balanced out OK. Now my car is gunmetal and the interior will stay black so the top will be black and the hood will blacked out again and with a black GT stripe, black tail panle too but I never much cared for the black headlight buckets.

the blackout hood was an option for the GT in 69 and the dealers quite often would do a blackout tail panel as well if requested. the stripe on your hood now is nowhere close to original since it is a 70 mach 1 hood stripe and that stripe was not used on any mustang prior to 1970.

to get an idea of what your car would look like with the blackout hood and black GT stripe have a look at my gallery, my car is a factory GT too, BTW.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt

my car was originally lime gold and i hated it, blue is my favorite color so the acapulco blue was a natural choice for me

Its funny that you mention that Bnickel becuase I was looking at your car in the gallery and I really like how it looks. At first I wasnt sure about how I wanted the GT stripes but black would look best with a blackout hood. So I decied on the original blue with blackout hood and black GT stripes like Bnickels car. The only thing im wonderng is does anyone have the measurements for the GT stripes? I saw you can get the stripe kit but I think it would be easier for the painter to have the dimensions.