Sign in to follow this  
mikem

Reproduction Parts

During the restoration of my 69 Sportsroof, I had to buy several reproduction parts from various vendors. I have been very disappointed with the quality overall. From racing mirrors with improper adjustment connection (90 degree connection instead of straight) pop off gas cap that will no way seal against the filler neck, decals that look like kids colored them and cut them out crooked, carpet "the best on the market" that you can see through, sail panels that dont have enough material to tuck under the rubber seal or window channel and bubble badly, front plastic spoiler that is warped, arm rest pads that interfere with the ease of opening the doors, etc. I've bought from several vendors but it appears to be a lost cause. OK, i'm done venting now. Anybody have the same problem or am i just that lucky?

Fortunately, most of us can perform minor surgery but why should we have too? They command a pretty good price for most the the stuff they sell. Heck, my Mustang script lost half the black paint in two washings by hand. I had to perform the minor surgery to get my remote racing mirror to fit. But i'm not bitter. Ha.

I have heard of similar stories about some repo parts. I have heard that there are some parts you should stay away from, and others that you should stay with original parts or NOS. Quality and grade of steel being the major concerns. I have a similar concern because I need to replace a convertible drivers door. I wonder if anyone has put a list of together outlining the do's and don't of parts buying....

Bill from Ottawa

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about all the not-so-good stuff you've bought, it's a real bummer. I own a '69 Mach 1 myself, for the most part all the things I have ordered turned out to be really decent (knock on wood).

Of course I've only been staying with NPD and Mustangs Unlimited, so I haven't branched out very much. Where are some of the places you bought your parts from?

James

I think it is important to note that these cars didn't exactly leave the factory in perfect condition either, it was not uncommon to have a variety of trim and body parts misalligned. If your original parts appear to mate up better in some areas it was likely because someone took pride on their line and spent time massaging it to get it that way. So even a part made from Ford tooling may not be "perfect" by today's scrutiny and a part reverse molded from a ford part will be that much more off just like a zerox copy of an original document would be and so on the further down the line you get.

I was watching a restoration show this weekend that made a great comment about NOS. It was something to the affect that manufactures didn't exactly go out and make hundreds of extra parts intentionally for the aftermarket and most of the NOS parts are left overs that were not deemed acceptable on the line so you could be paying top dollar for a part that needs massaging anyway. If that's the case might as well leave it and its high price tag on the shelf and just mod a repop.

In the end I agree it doesn't seem fair that you should have to modify new parts but if you did just bolt them on without fuss I honestly don't think it would look worse than most people bought brand new back in the day, especially if you got the orange peel in the paint just right. Things like cheap detail paint on emblems and what not is just poor craftmanship but most of those items were crafted in the late 80's when people were just starting to restore these cars and they had just about creeped back up to their original sticker value so cheap was the word when making tooling. Now that they are at new heights in value though more and more newer more accurate tooling is being remade all the time and this older crapier stuff is being taken out of circulation slowly but surely.

ya.... I've had minor problems and I'm sure I'll run into more but face the facts - these cars are 40 yr's old and even from the factory the gaps and finish wasn't what I would call perfect...

I buy from CJ PONY, Mustang Unlimited and NPD. Also remember that you get what you pay for.

Even the good vendors make mistakes. I bought an alternator feed from NPD and it was made wrong (made by Alloy Metal Products). Fortunately NPD was kind enough to refund my money, so although troubleshooting was a pain, it all worked out in the end.

I would also mention that many NOS items are over the counter replacement parts, not what was installed on the assembly line, so you might as well buy replacement parts. The production speedo cables were grey and had a metal band where the clamp attached. The replacement parts have a Ford sticker on them but they're black and have no metal band.

There's a reason they don't make 'em like they used to... the quality control sucked... no one would buy them today!

You would think they would put a disclaimer to this point on their items. The new un suspecting restorer does not know that what they are purchasing will not fit or need modifications! I think it discurages some and they don't stick with it for that reason!

You dont always get what you pay for. Even paying the highest price, you can get burned. I just hate for some company to state "best on the market" for instance on carpet and when you get it, you can see almost as much backing as carpet. That's what Virgina Mustang quotes in their recent catalog for 69 carpet. I'm learning though. You have to ask questions about who makes the carpet or specific part. In my case, not ACC but TMI. Lesson learned. Sometimes you just put faith in the description and salesmans word. If you get burned, dont go back to that company and let them know why. Its nice to have a forum like this where you can vent, get feedback, kicked in the fanny for being such a novice, learn what you as a consumer need to research, know and ask before you buy. I also learned that you dont buy parts and let them sit in the box for two months until your car is at the point you need them. I always like to be ahead of the curve and have my parts ready to go. Always check your parts immediately to make sure all that your order is there. Check the parts to make sure they are for your application. Look at the quality and send it back if it doesnt measure up. My bad this time around. Thanks for the feedback.

I am actually surprised at that, Viginia Classic is one of my favorite vendors. I have never bought carpet from them but I have been more than happy with every other purchase and I think their pricing and customer service is excellent to date.