Sign in to follow this  
dans70mach1

70 Mach1, will a 460 fit?

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself and find a place to gather information in helping build my 70 mach1. It has no motor right now, but was either going to go back to a Cleveland 2bbl, 4bbl or a 460. My concern was if the 460 would fit between the shock towers with out moddifying them. Looks as though hooker is the only ones making headers for a 460 for 71-73 years also. Does anyone know if they will fit the 70? I know that the headers for 302's and 351's all list for 65-73 so I am not 100% sure if the engine room is the same as the 71-73. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself and find a place to gather information in helping build my 70 mach1. It has no motor right now, but was either going to go back to a Cleveland 2bbl, 4bbl or a 460. My concern was if the 460 would fit between the shock towers with out moddifying them. Looks as though hooker is the only ones making headers for a 460 for 71-73 years also. Does anyone know if they will fit the 70? I know that the headers for 302's and 351's all list for 65-73 so I am not 100% sure if the engine room is the same as the 71-73. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan

Welcome Dan, I have a 69 and can tell you from my experience that on the 351C hooker headers hang down REAL low. So low I changed them out with FPA headers http://www.fordpowertrain.com. There not cheap but are excellent fit and the service is great also. I do see they list a shorty for the 460 but do not know about in a mustang, but if you give them a call they could tell you what u need. Some other folks more experienced will chime in on the 460 fitment. Good Luck

Welcome Dan, I have a 69 and can tell you from my experience that on the 351C hooker headers hang down REAL low. So low I changed them out with FPA headers http://www.fordpowertrain.com. There not cheap but are excellent fit and the service is great also. I do see they list a shorty for the 460 but do not know about in a mustang, but if you give them a call they could tell you what u need. Some other folks more experienced will chime in on the 460 fitment. Good Luck

red71stang,

when you put the 460 in, what headers did you use and mounts as well. I see that paddock sells motor mounts for about 30 each.

Also when you did your 460, what was it before hand? how does it drive compared to a cleveland (power wise)

red71stang,

when you put the 460 in, what headers did you use and mounts as well. I see that paddock sells motor mounts for about 30 each.

Also when you did your 460, what was it before hand? how does it drive compared to a cleveland (power wise)

Here's a pic of a 70 with a Ford Racing 460. He had the shock towers notched for fit and access to 2/3, 5/6 plugs.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/111_1158?full=1

You can always stroke that Cleveland and make hugh power. And to top it off you are about 10 miles from one of the best Cleveland builders in the country. Mark McKeown built mine. www.mmeracing.com

Also highly recommend FPA headers. One of my best purchases....

Here's a pic of a 70 with a Ford Racing 460. He had the shock towers notched for fit and access to 2/3, 5/6 plugs.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/111_1158?full=1

You can always stroke that Cleveland and make hugh power. And to top it off you are about 10 miles from one of the best Cleveland builders in the country. Mark McKeown built mine. www.mmeracing.com

Also highly recommend FPA headers. One of my best purchases....

I have talked to Mark at MIR before. Not looking to make crazy power, but something fun for the street. I was thtinking a 460 because with a few simple things like a cam intake and a good carb it would be fairly fast. Im not totally against to a cleveland.

I have talked to Mark at MIR before. Not looking to make crazy power, but something fun for the street. I was thtinking a 460 because with a few simple things like a cam intake and a good carb it would be fairly fast. Im not totally against to a cleveland.

A stock 460 is a gutless wonder, unless you're planing a performance build you might as well keep your small block.

Something to consider if you want a big block would be to put an FE in it, it be an easier swap since that was the big block from 67-70 so parts are not a real problem and higher performance engines are not hard to find. something to think about anyway.

A stock 460 is a gutless wonder, unless you're planing a performance build you might as well keep your small block.

Something to consider if you want a big block would be to put an FE in it, it be an easier swap since that was the big block from 67-70 so parts are not a real problem and higher performance engines are not hard to find. something to think about anyway.

Its a project but my wife is excited

Well you've already overcome the biggest obstacle most of us face so the rest should be easy. And if she's the cheerleader in your avatar then I am sure you are pretty excited too. My humble opinion, big blocks are over rated these days unless you are building a real bruiser that mostly goes straight or you just like to brag. They aren't real practical when it comes to being able to work on them or just for cruising and the power that can be made these days from the smaller blocks is just amazing especially pound for pound.