Sign in to follow this  
albarnett_99

BB Mustang Headers

Hey guys, I am trying to decide on which headers to purchase and install into my Mach 1. Do any of you have any firsthand experience installing headers into a Mustang with a big block FE? I am currently looking at Hooker Super Comps, FPAs, and JBAs.

Interested in any feedback on fit and any challenges with getting them to fit in such a small engine compartment. Would prefer to avoid any unncecessay rattles or clearance issues if possible. My current setup is a 390 with the CJ heads and manifolds, manual steering, and 4 speed toploader.

Hey guys, I am trying to decide on which headers to purchase and install into my Mach 1. Do any of you have any firsthand experience installing headers into a Mustang with a big block FE? I am currently looking at Hooker Super Comps, FPAs, and JBAs.

Interested in any feedback on fit and any challenges with getting them to fit in such a small engine compartment. Would prefer to avoid any unncecessay rattles or clearance issues if possible. My current setup is a 390 with the CJ heads and manifolds, manual steering, and 4 speed toploader.

My opinion is leave the stock manifolds on, my 390 Mach 1 came with Super Comp headers and he had them beat to crap trying to keep them from hitting everything. then he had a deal on the steering cylinder to lower it an inch or two so it would clear which I guess all headers require.

I bought a set of GT manifolds and that's what's going on my car, but I like originality anyway so it was easy for me to toss the headers.

My opinion is leave the stock manifolds on, my 390 Mach 1 came with Super Comp headers and he had them beat to crap trying to keep them from hitting everything. then he had a deal on the steering cylinder to lower it an inch or two so it would clear which I guess all headers require.

I bought a set of GT manifolds and that's what's going on my car, but I like originality anyway so it was easy for me to toss the headers.

The JBA's are nice but with the thick flange you will have to make modifications to keep the bolts from hitting. The FPA will require you to grind the tops on a some bolts but shock tower mods should not be needed. If you are putting an FE in a car without the shock tower braces then the FPA should not require any modification.

Mike

The JBA's are nice but with the thick flange you will have to make modifications to keep the bolts from hitting. The FPA will require you to grind the tops on a some bolts but shock tower mods should not be needed. If you are putting an FE in a car without the shock tower braces then the FPA should not require any modification.

Mike

I run Hooker Headers on my 428 CJ. They are not fun to put on, They take a lot of time but worth the trouble, Patience is a virtue. If you do go that route then get them coated and or header heat tape. The heat will be a problem. I had to lift my engine up a little bit do to the tight fit.

I run Hooker Headers on my 428 CJ. They are not fun to put on, They take a lot of time but worth the trouble, Patience is a virtue. If you do go that route then get them coated and or header heat tape. The heat will be a problem. I had to lift my engine up a little bit do to the tight fit.

I really enjoyed my Hookers, too. A snug fit, but no clearance issues.

Love, love, love the sound of Hookers on an FE. I got another pair going in my Gal next month.

I really enjoyed my Hookers, too. A snug fit, but no clearance issues.

Love, love, love the sound of Hookers on an FE. I got another pair going in my Gal next month.