Sign in to follow this  
69RavenConv

Black '69 Convertible -- running!

I fired up the newly rebuilt 302 for the first time yesterday. What a sweet feeling!! The car was last licensed in 1989 and hasn't been started since the early 90's. It's my first engine rebuild, although I got a lot of knowledgeable help.

The warmed-over roller cam, four-barrel and dual exhaust give it a real sweet rumble. It looks like the only problems are a leaky thermostat housing and a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake (it refuses to idle).

I may pull the intake/carb off this week and re-dress all the gaskets. Still, what a great feeling to hear it run after all this time.

Spray some carb cleaner around the manifold and see if the rpm picks up. Might be the carb base leaking not the intake. Sure is easier to change a carb gasket than the whole manifold. But my money is going to be on the rear intake manifold gasket where it mates to the block. I'll double my bet if you used the cork gasket. Most folks just use a good heavy line of silicone sealer, while I've seen an engine builder dimple the block with a round punch to hold the cork in place.

Quick update - the problem was not a vacuum leak, it was in the idle circuit of the Holley carburetor. I rebuilt it myself and can't for the life of me find the defect, but replacing the carb fixed the problem completely. She idles like a champ now! I'll post some pics soon, as now it's on to the interior and paint job....

Quick update - the problem was not a vacuum leak, it was in the idle circuit of the Holley carburetor. I rebuilt it myself and can't for the life of me find the defect, but replacing the carb fixed the problem completely. She idles like a champ now! I'll post some pics soon, as now it's on to the interior and paint job....