Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCat

big/small block differences?

Whar are the differences in the big block 69's from the small blocks?

suspension: springs? shock towers? sterring components?

The coupe I picked up was a 302 car, The previous owner (Russ here on the forums) was going to switch it over to a 351C.

I believe I'll contiue this, so what will I need to beef up, change, ect...

I have alot of experience in the way older mustangs (65-66) :whistling: But none in the "Late" Model stangs :shifty: . . .

Ken

a 302 block (windsor)has a deck height of 8.2", 351C (335 series) is 9.2", and the 351W is 9.5" (9.480" 69-70 only), the 351M and the 400C (335series) are taller but I dont know exactly the dim. The cleavland head is wider so it looks bigger All are considerd small blocks. Big blocks are FE series (390,406,410,427,428) and 385 series (429,460)

the only 2 engines ford built that could be considered mid-blocks are the 351m (m stands for midland) and the 400, that is because the used certain parts and pieces from both small and big block (385 series) family such as small block style motor mounts and accessory drives but big block bellhousnig bolt patterns (with the exception of a few early passenger car 400's that used the smaal block bellhousing pattern) they also have wider decks than a small block as well. the 351m and 400 are almost a direct bolt in for a 429/460

A lot of people called the Cleveland a "big block" due to the size of the valves used in the cylinder heads. They were huge for a small block and were the size of valves used on most big blocks.

Check out this site, it gives you the dimensions of several Ford engines, including the Windsor and Cleveland. http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/EngineDimensions.html They are actually very similar in size except for the height difference due to the difference in deck height.