Sign in to follow this  
Boogerschnot

Front tires too tall.. 235-55-17

Front tires are a little too tall and rub the valance at full turn.. actually about 3/4''s turn.. Soooo.. has anyone trimmed the inner corner of the valance to clear a wheel before? Im sure someon has.. How did it look?

I like the size of the tire so I dont want to change that, but am willing to change the valance,, and if I screw it up too much then hell they are only about $90.. I say that really not wanting to change the valance though.. $90 is a lot of money when youve got two kids in daycare.

Ill try and get a pic up tonight..

i had this problem when i got my car. the p.o. had unbolted all but one bolt on the front valance so when the tires rubbed, the valance would flop around, made a terrible noise too. after i bolted it back into place, the left tire would constantly rub on a full turn (could only make about 1/2 a turn) and gouged bits out of my new tires. anyway, i took off the supporting bracket (that stabalizes the valance to the frame) and used a regular old pair of pliers to "roll" the metal. i needed about 3/4 inch clear. i know it's probably not the proper way to do it, but only one side rubbed, and the valace was fully bolted, no room to shift. i think the frame might be slightly bent.

--Steven

its something you should find a solution for and have some clearance for the wheel on bumps as well as i have seen a fender severely damaged when the tyre picked up the valance when reversing pretty ugly.