Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

how to paint blacked out hood

Just to be certain. Does the blackout hood treatment also include the cowl vent all the way to the windshield??? What are the tricks to making sure you get those 2 items to be straight and match up once they are put back on the car after paint???? My next question is what sequence do you paint the hood?? Do I paint it all black first and then try to paint the edges or paint the edges with my color and the n the black?? Do they make a stencile for this?? Please tell me how to do it. I don't know where to start. Thanks, James the flame

james,

the only way to be sure the lines will match up after paint is to pre install them & do the layout with the parts on the car & lined up. as to what order you paint what, it kinda depends on what product you are using for the blackout & color, are both base/clear or single stage etc. give me some more info & i'll give you the easiest way to do the job for a "first timer"

Hey Rodshop, I received my "All-U-Need" in a quart yesterday. I spoke to the tech. man himself and he was very informative about the new product. Hope to try it at least this weekend. On my blackout hood I am using basecoat/clearcoat for my color but have not chosen a blackout yet. What do you recomend?? Can I put a flatt black and then clearcoat over that?? Would that still keep the look we are after as original but with shine?? I DO NOT want a black gloss on my hood. The company Clausen you told me about sells every paint imaginable I think. What do I order?? Thanks, James

james,

you can go about this in a couple different ways. first, paint the blue & clearcoat. then, you can either use a flattened single stage urethane, or use a regular black basecoat with a flattened clear. period correct would be the flattened single stage. i heard from my local ppg rep they have a great new flattened black product, so you might check on that with your local ppg store. if you have regular urethane flattened or add the flattener yourself, i would start at about 20% gloss & do a test panel. 0 gloss is very hard to work with. if not sprayed properly, it will have gray areas where the paint is sprayed lighter than the heavier areas. i just painted a set of bumpers with 0 gloss black & it took me two times to get it correct, & i've painted for over 20 yrs. test panels work great to get things where you want them before shooting the car.

make the blackout panels the last thing you do. do all the color work, assemble the front end, line up the hood & cowl, mask off the stripes, then you can take the hood & cowl off, go over the areas to be black with a grey scotchbrite or wetsand with 600 grit & add the black.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

Half-way down the page you'll see info on hood blackout paint mixture for '71 Mustangs. The guy seems to think his mixture and process is pretty close to the original. I'm not sure if the blackout color use on the '69 is the same as that on the '71's.

sounds like a good setup. i use the same reducer & hardener in the regular 2021 clearcoat, so might see if they will give me a "sample" of the flattened clear to test. i have to go for supplies tomorrow or monday, so will check on that while i'm there. the only problem i se might be with at least 2 coats of base & two coats of the clear, it will be a pretty good paint edge. might be able to reduce a little further for a thinner coat. just have to test & see as sometimes hardener & reducer will affect the gloss.

Thanks guys, Rodshop I will be waiting your results. The formula in 3 parts they are speaking of does not include the paint, Right??? What is the part number of the black paint I should use??? James the flame Happy Memorial Day weekend. Hope everyone enjoys the Indy 500 and NASCAR this weekend. Remember those who gave their own lives so we can have the freedom to pursue our dreams and hobbies!!!!!!