Sign in to follow this  
SELLERSRODSHOP

Need Shaker Measurements

I need to trouble someone with a shaker setup for a couple measurements to get started on my project. first i need a rough idea how far forward from the rear edge of the hood to the rear of the scoop. also how much larger is the hole in the hood compared to the size of the scoop. i made a pattern of the scoop & added 1/2" all the way around, but want to make sure that will be enough for movement without the scoop hitting the hood when the engine torques. also need to know roughly how high the bottom of the scoop is from the flange where the midplate bolts to the flange on the lower air cleaner base to get me in the ballpark as i fab up my midplate. thanks!

thanks, but i should have noted its a torino shaker, not the standard mustang unit. i'm too cheap to pay $15 for a paper pattern of that one, when the mustang pattern is $1.75. this is going to be a full custom setup, but just want to get some ballpark measurements to start with.

Yeah mine is a 351W shaker carved up to fit on a Cleveland with a high rise intake. The hood itself is a standard Mustang shaker hood so not sure a Torino hood would be the same. Regardless, I can certainly take some measurements but I bet they mimic the numbers from the Mustang pattern.

Might have to wonder over to a Torino or Ford forum to get those measurements.

thanks guys, got it figured out now. ihave the midplate fabbed up using the original outer ring from the stock air cleaner i modified earlier. i ran the inner flange of the ring through the planishing hammer to give it a little more height by changing the curve "upwards". then made a cardboard template with the ring & scoop together & transferred that to a piece of 16ga. sheetmetal. tacked it together temporarily for fitment to the car & made attaching tabs to connect it to the lower base. tomorrow i'll cut the hood & atach the scoop to the assembly. here are a couple pics:

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

i will be functional. just left it solid for structural integrity during the fabrication process. that ring was pretty "floppy" until it was welded up to the plate, so i kept the plate as solid as possible. i haven't decided if i want to cut one large flap or stamp a series of louvers in the plate. i'll figure that out today!

what i am really considering is deleting the round ring style filter completely, making brackets & attaching the square fuel injection style k&n filter to the bottom of the midplate. i figure that will give me the best restriction free airflow. i have the setup on the vehicle now with a couple revisions to perform tomorrow. i'll get pics up of the completed job. i'm really pleased with the way it worked out. it's also kinda cool to sit in the drivers seat & see it "shaking" when the engine is revved. no doubt how it got it's name.

Will you put a K&N top flow filter on as well?:shifty: I'm looking at something like you are doing as well. Thanks for the pics.

I stuffed a 14" K&N high flow filter with the extreme flow lid on it into the shaker base. Great flow but very tight because it should be a 13" filter. Works well though - you can hear the air hissing in from the front of the scoop.

Lookin' forward to the pics. With all the custom manifolds being fitted these days, some brainiac could make a good dollar if he come up with an idea for an adjustable height shaker base.!!?:001_huh:

it would be very easy to do. now i'm gonna tell ya how you can make your next fortune:shifty: all you would need to do is cut the base mid way up the side all the way around to where they are two seperate pieces. take one of the pieces & run it through a panel flanging tool along one of the cut edges. the offset created by the flanger will allow the two pieces to fit back together, but one inside the other. add a few slots for machine screws & locknuts to assemble & voila! a sliding adjustable base. should take about an hour to create, assuming the proper tools are available.:biggrin:

by the way, sometimes it doesn't take a braniac, but a maniac!! research would show i probably fit better into the second category !!!

I stuffed a 14" K&N high flow filter with the extreme flow lid on it into the shaker base. Great flow but very tight because it should be a 13" filter. Works well though - you can hear the air hissing in from the front of the scoop.

Sweet, love that sound!!! Its funny, even the girls like the shaker scoops. I heard one say to her friends one day "I like that square, black thingy that sticks out the hood and moves.":001_huh:

If I ever went shaker I always wanted to use the Torino one, no question what so ever in my mind now, it looks fantastic!!!!!!! It's just so much more aggressive looking than a standard one. So $200 was including the cost of a used shaker too? Is it supposed to have that small hole on the top of it right in the crease BTW? I have never really seen one up close.

that hole is factory & where it mounts to the midplate in the front. it has a 1/4"-20 screw about two inches long in there. i bought the top scoop/gasket/mount plate on ebay for $188. only other purchased item was a pair of 10-32 lock nuts for the miplate/lower assembly mounts. everything else was handmade here in the shop or modified from the original air cleaner.

very sharp, me likie. you should build you a plug for that hole, that's the only thing about the torino shakers that i never really could getover what was that hole. maybe you could use an old poly bushing or something and make a plug that's sculpted to fit the hole and look better and be able to hold itself in place

finally got time to make the shaker ring for the hood. only took about an hour with the shrinker/stretcher to fab up. that compound curve up where it goes up & over the "spear" in the hood was the really fun part!!:shifty: haven't decided whether i will weld it on tomorrow or use the structural body panel adhesive & do the "glue-n-clamp" method. in the pics, it's just snugged up slightly with some vise grips, but fits really well.