Sign in to follow this  
Gazoo

Can front seats be moved back?

Has anybody found a way to modify the stock seat tracks to allow you to move them back further without drilling new holes in the floor?

Not sure why, but there seems to be less free room between me and the steering wheel than there used to be - can't imagine why that might be.:whistling:

Would appreciate any suggestions (other than a diet.)

The only way I could see it would be to move the floor pan bolts forward on the tracks but I think they are only 1 or 2 inches from the end already as I remember. A lot of work for a small gain.

I think your best bet is to just swap in a longer track and mod it to fit the floor and seat.

If you want to gain some extra room with the seat where it is currenty...

I tilted the back of the back rest forward and the two plastic stops that are screwed on the seat base I grinded down 50% and now with my back leaned back a bit I have all the room I need..... I'm 6'5" and 275 with a pot belly so the "stock" Mustang isn't really made for me....

You might grind down 25% to start and test and see if that's enough, if not grind more....

Only draw back is my wife is 5'3" and doesn't like the back part of the seat back so I'm looking into a way to make something that she could place over the 2 plastic pieces for height and back at normal.... maybe like 3 magnetic washers that would stick to the metal part of the seat... something like that..... It's the cheapest way to go...

Hello,

I got some information from a guy on VMF so send me your email and I'll forward it to you (can't post because of size)

Hope it helps

Marc Cramer

If the PDF file is too big to attach can't it be broken down into two files or copied and pasted into the thread or even attached to the gallery with a link? I just think it would be helpful to have for all to view easily if at all possible.

Just to let everybody know, that back in '66, Ford had a tsb out for "longer" legged people that needed to move the seat back to make for additional leg room. I have sent this two page info on vmf many, many times and could send that info to you as well.

Note: It might be the same info since I have sent this tsb info to so many people now.

Just pm me with your email address.

TSB 269, Additional leg room between steering wheel and driver's seat

I know this is an old thread. Does anyone have that PDF that was discussed here before I joined up?

I like to stretch out when I am driving and would like to slide the drivers chair back a couple of inches. I'd be glad to see about compressing the file and posting it.

I replaced my tracks with 1 1/2" x 1/2" rectaugular steel tubing. I drilled thru the tubing bottom up to bolt to the seat, then drilled thru the tubing top down to bolt thru the OEM floor holes.

I added 5" to the leg room, and added head room also.

Only draw back is the seat is in a "fixed" location now - which is fine with me because I prefer to be the only driver, and prefer to leave the back seat empty!

I want to retain adjustability. I guess that PDF probably has specs on these bolt-on offset rails that acheive this. I can check over on VMF to see if they have it and can post up here. Guys are selling these for about $90-$125

Edited by miketyler

I replaced my tracks with 1 1/2" x 1/2" rectaugular steel tubing. I drilled thru the tubing bottom up to bolt to the seat, then drilled thru the tubing top down to bolt thru the OEM floor holes.

I added 5" to the leg room, and added head room also.

Only draw back is the seat is in a "fixed" location now - which is fine with me because I prefer to be the only driver, and prefer to leave the back seat empty!

Pics finally of install