Sign in to follow this  
jgstang

painted aluminum heads ???

don't know if this is a really stupid idea or not but i'm thinking on painting my aluminum heads to match the block since i will have a aluminum manifold,valve covers,air cleaner,carb.will alum heads take and hold paint good ?? or is this a stupid idea ????? thanks, Jim

yes they will hold the paint just fine as long as you prep them right. some people say to use a self etching primer and some people say not to use a primer at all, i guess it all depends on personal choice. personally i'd just use some of that dupli-color ceramic engine paint and maybe their engine primer as well and be done with it. that is, if you are using spray bombs.

well i'm just setting things together and now thinking....mybe not paint the heads, looks kinda cool like this! Jim

my351rollermotor52908004.jpg

my351rollermotor52908005.jpg

my351rollermotor52908007.jpg

do i use the washers included with the new 1/2" arp bolts ? it also says to grease the treads ? and what bolt down pattern ? says not to use the stock pattern ?? Jim

what heads are you running and is that the stock finish on them or did you have them blasted to get that appearance? also, what is the intake adapter for? you running a multi carb setup or webers on it or something? inquiring mind (s) want to know.:biggrin:

the intake plate is for a new smallblock tri-power set-up.i just have it sat on there because i need to find out how much i need to port match it to the ported TFTW heads! i got the tri-power from carlsfordparts.com awhile ago.i will be looseing about 40hp because of this set up but thats ok,it should still put out about 385hp and it will look great! the heads were rebuilt by a shop in outside sacramento and he beedblasted the heads! not completely sure if i like the look but once painted its too late...this will be a fun project because its a 69 vert with a shaker! so i will be custom fitting an aircleaner for it...Jim

the intake plate is for a new smallblock tri-power set-up.i just have it sat on there because i need to find out how much i need to port match it to the ported TFTW heads! i got the tri-power from carlsfordparts.com awhile ago.i will be looseing about 40hp because of this set up but thats ok,it should still put out about 385hp and it will look great! the heads were rebuilt by a shop in outside sacramento and he beedblasted the heads! not completely sure if i like the look but once painted its too late...this will be a fun project because its a 69 vert with a shaker! so i will be custom fitting an aircleaner for it...Jim

do you know if he used glass beads or if he shot blasted them? i really like the look and once they're painted they will be almost undetectable as aluminum heads

no sale, just agressive....yes i did over do it alittle because i don't like leaks, and it set-up so fast on that hot day and it wouldn't come off very easy so what the hell!! but it will be painted over! i knew i was going to here it from someone LOL.....Jim