Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCat

Questions on the side vent ornament on the coupe

I just picked up a 69 Coupe a while back from a guy in northern Ohio, some of you here know me and the guy I got the car from, from VMF.

Anyways, Im getting ready to dive into this shell, to see if its worth continuing the work he did on it and restoring it or not. I'd like to know whats behind the "vent" ornament. Is just a few pin holes, is the metal shaped to cup the ornament?

I was thinking of deleting it if I redone the car. It just hasn't grown on me yet, and looks ugly. I've been trying to find pics of someone who has also deleted the vent, but havent yet.

Thanks in advance for the help. Great forums, good ready, I shall countinue to poke around.

Ken

ahhhh, there is a "dent" behind them, thought there might be. Hmmm... I guess Id have to see a few pics of peoples cars who have done it. As for the work to be done, no biggie, just add it to the list of other sections that need re-shaping/replacing.

Thanks for the pic. Is there any other options for that vent? A different version? Or is there only the original design from Ford?

Ken

Lots of folks put the shelby fake scoop there when they delete it.

I am apparently still the only person that likes the (UNIQUE TO 69 COUPES, YO!!!!) original ornament, lol.

Lots of folks put the shelby fake scoop there when they delete it.

I am apparently still the only person that likes the (UNIQUE TO 69 COUPES, YO!!!!) original ornament, lol.

I like them!!!:biggrin: Fake Shelby scoops are overrated, they just create more drag when you're into those triple digit speeds:shifty:

That's why you make them functional, go is no good without whoa.

They just cover the indent, no need to fix what you can't see. You can browse thru my gallery and see pics out of the box, installed, painted etc....... If you want the clean look it may be easier to just patch in that section from a 70 quarter panel.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/Car-and-tech-pics

Here's my fix. A little hammer & dolly work. One functional air extractor. I still have to make the rest of it. I was testing to see how it looked and I think it will look good finished out with two ribs dividing it. I'll be replacing the quarter skin so I'll actually do this on the new piece off the car before I weld it on. It's tight swinging the hammer in there.

11ddre2.jpg

e170re2.jpg

Here's my fix. A little hammer & dolly work. One functional air extractor. I still have to make the rest of it. I was testing to see how it looked and I think it will look good finished out with two ribs dividing it. I'll be replacing the quarter skin so I'll actually do this on the new piece off the car before I weld it on. It's tight swinging the hammer in there.

11ddre2.jpg

e170re2.jpg

Yeah, I'm trying to make it look as close to the original trim piece as I can. I wasn't planning on using the chrome piece and duplicating the individual fins may be too difficult hence why I was leaning towards just dividing it into thirds like the chrome piece accents. I'll probably play with it till I get the right look.

Yeah, I'm trying to make it look as close to the original trim piece as I can. I wasn't planning on using the chrome piece and duplicating the individual fins may be too difficult hence why I was leaning towards just dividing it into thirds like the chrome piece accents. I'll probably play with it till I get the right look.

Looks cool, alot of work though. I would think with all that custom work that making it look non stock is the way to go for sure, otherwise why bother.

So where is it extracting air from exactly? I am surprised if you go to that length that you don't reverse it like all the other model years and make it cool the brakes instead.

Looks cool, alot of work though. I would think with all that custom work that making it look non stock is the way to go for sure, otherwise why bother.

So where is it extracting air from exactly? I am surprised if you go to that length that you don't reverse it like all the other model years and make it cool the brakes instead.

It's really not a lot of work. I spend all day designing sheetmetal parts for armored trucks so I'm used to figuring out unique solutions. It'll function basically like the upper quarter vents on the earlier fastbacks. I thought about a forward facing scoop for the brakes but I wanted to maintain some semblence to the stock onamentation. Kinda looking for that second take and a little head scratching like "something's different but I can't put my finger on it".

It's really not a lot of work. I spend all day designing sheetmetal parts for armored trucks so I'm used to figuring out unique solutions. It'll function basically like the upper quarter vents on the earlier fastbacks. I thought about a forward facing scoop for the brakes but I wanted to maintain some semblence to the stock onamentation. Kinda looking for that second take and a little head scratching like "something's different but I can't put my finger on it".

Did you buy Steve Kleva's silver coupe?

I actually only got my decklid from Maier, and I got the real Shelby one, the one on that coupe is Maier's own version which does not require replacing the tail panel or fabricating it to fit the stock one. I got my scoops from Cobranda, just FYI.

BTW X, I like the idea of them working like the older fastbacks, sounds cool. So will there be a vent on the inside too that can be opend or closed? You are sure to get many of those second takes.:thumbup1:

BTW X, I like the idea of them working like the older fastbacks, sounds cool. So will there be a vent on the inside too that can be opend or closed? You are sure to get many of those second takes.:thumbup1:

There'll be an operating inside vent, I haven't quite got it figured out yet though. I never cared much for the factory ornamentation either but I think I found a way to make it elegant. For good or bad I think it looks too naked without something there.

Aw4g63,

I like it. That's the look I was originally wanting for mine, sans the cowl hood.