Sign in to follow this  
69fstback

Headers glowing Red

Hello all I went to break in my new motor and after about 5 min my header on the driver side was glowing bright red. I had the motor at 2000 rpm to break in the cam and shut it off after i saw just the driver side glowing. Is this bad? My electrci fan never came on but i know it does work.

It could be running to rich or lean. A lean air fuel ratio will cause high exhaust temps or on the other hand a extreme rich mixture could still be burning in your headers. Could also be the timing. Are you running open headers? Your engine probably wasn't over heating but sounds like something may be way out of tune.

I am running flowtechs. Now i can not get it started again. i got it started after they were glowing and messed with the timeing and they stopped glowing then shut it off and it will not restart. What happend? wiped cam? timing way off?

check your oil........ undo the drain plug for a second or so and put a magnet in the cup you are draining into. Give it a couple of hours to get a result. It is not normal to have alot of metal particles collecting on the magnet, that would point to cam wipage, However the oil can look like metalic paint upon breakin of a new cam, when you drain it into all into a catch pan and look at it in the sun or with a light, because there is some very minor wear of the cam and lifter face to seat..and of course, other metal particles from machining.( they will be larger and only a few pieces) Next, pop off the rocker covers and look for slop in the rockers. You will see immediately there is something wrong. Check the valleys where the oil drains at the ends of the heads. There will be lots of steel particles there also if something has failed....I speak from experience......Good luck

69fst; did you pre lube the engine? spin the oil pump with a drill to make sure you got good oil pressure? Did you have a oil pressure gauge hooked up? It sounds like a lean condition, but just one side has me thinking bad thoughts. If you do what 390 says, be sure B4 you try to start back up, you check dampener is good not slipped,and verify timing TDC, oil pump is pumping and you have pressure on the gauge, and it wouldn`t hurt at this point to test the cylinders and compare your pressures with each one. Good Luck !