Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Door Handle Removal question

Hi guys, so my Chilton manual has one sentence on this, but I'm just not quite getting the picture.

I'm trying to remove my door handles in prep for paint and I see the retaining screw easy enough, but the little bolt that holds on the non-button side would seem to be accessible only if I were the amazing rubber man.

Do I need to remove the glass to do this? God, I hope not. Any suggestions on how to actually get to that little bolt (window up/down, etc.)?

Many, many thanks for your advice.

Tom

Hey , go to cj ponys here is the link for a picture of the door handles, this will help to tell / show you there is another screw or nut at the button end of the stang door handles. See the gasket set for the locations. Hope this is your answer and it helps out!

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~ShowPicTxt~Z5Z5Z50000016e~Z5Z5Z5EBCGL~Z5Z5Z51

I just yesterday stripped my 69 mach down for paint. Yes it is dificult to get to the bolt you are speaking of but use a 1/4 inch drive wratchet and short socket.you can get both hands in there but using 2 diffrent holes in the door. Don't know how much fun it might be putting it back. Good luck. One note, I'm not 100% sure but I think I used metric socket.

i tried everything i could think of to get the handles back with the windows in the car and just couldn't do it, i still needed to align the glass at that point anyway so it wasn't all that bad but if i'd spent all that time aligning the glass and then had to pull it to put the handle back on i'd have been super pissed, as it was i was still pretty heavily annoyed but mostly because the paint shop put the glass back in and didn't install the new door handles that i'd sent with the car.:huh:

Just finished removing the Door handles on my '69 in preparation for paint. The Driver's side glass was out so it wasn't a problem. The passenger side was a different story all together, but I did manage to get it off with the Glass in and I think I'll be able to get the New One back on with the glass still in, but it will take all of the patience I have. FYI, it's a 3/8" Nut, and it's the only size I don't have in a "Short" 1/4" Drive Socket but you can bet that I'll have one when the painting is done and I'm ready to put the New Handles back on.

Just finished removing the Door handles on my '69 in preparation for paint. The Driver's side glass was out so it wasn't a problem. The passenger side was a different story all together, but I did manage to get it off with the Glass in and I think I'll be able to get the New One back on with the glass still in, but it will take all of the patience I have. FYI, it's a 3/8" Nut, and it's the only size I don't have in a "Short" 1/4" Drive Socket but you can bet that I'll have one when the painting is done and I'm ready to put the New Handles back on.

I actually bought a special ratchet wrench just for this but it also came in handy for getting at the reverse lights when the roll pan was still on the car. They look like the below pic in a variety of sizes for a couple dollars available at any hardware store. With the inner trim piece that has the beltline fuzzy on it removed the glass can be pushed in forward enough to slip it inbetween the glass and door. Just secure the nut to the wrench from the backside with a piece of tape and you should be good to go.

6212450.jpg

I actually bought a special ratchet wrench just for this but it also came in handy for getting at the reverse lights when the roll pan was still on the car. They look like the below pic in a variety of sizes for a couple dollars available at any hardware store. With the inner trim piece that has the beltline fuzzy on it removed the glass can be pushed in forward enough to slip it inbetween the glass and door. Just secure the nut to the wrench from the backside with a piece of tape and you should be good to go.

6212450.jpg

unruly, where did you have it painted? I ask because I'm in the area . . . still probably a couple years from paint but I'd like to know where people are getting jobs done in the bay area.

unruly, where did you have it painted? I ask because I'm in the area . . . still probably a couple years from paint but I'd like to know where people are getting jobs done in the bay area.