Sign in to follow this  
SELLERSRODSHOP

brake booster/master cylinder options

anybody running a setup like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190206816651&rd=1

it looks to be a corvette m/c which i've used on numerous rod projects over the years, but am kind of curious about the boosters that use the original non power pedal. looks like a special bracket with a two hole pattern to relocate the pushrod. is this a stable mounting method? with the manual pedal vs. the power , does the difference in pivot points change the feel of the pedal & pedal pressure? i like the firm pedal feel with my non power 4 whl drums & just don't want something that feels like a "soup sandwich" or a setup that takes both feet to stop.

i'm also planning a 5 speed swap , are there any other pedal options other that getting reamed on those $500 rebuilt setups?? anybody ever retrofit a fox body pedal assembly in an early car? they are available for about $25.

I too am looking at either a 5 speed or a 6 speed and need the pedal. Everybody seems to want an arma and a leg for originals, so I'd like to know if there are other options available.

Sorry, can't help with the master cylinder.

When you say a 5 speed swap I am assuming you mean from automatic and it's the clutch pedal you need? Burritoboi I believe cut his original brake pedal down and then flipped another brake pedal to use as a clutch and made his own mounting point for it. Don't know how well it works or looks but you might want to contact him for info if he doesn't chime in.

mace,

i'm still going to nab a fox setup next time i'm out at pull-a-part to see if it's actually a feasible swap. i've heard some say "yes, its a faily easy swap", & also "no, it won't work". i just haven't found anyone in the "yes" category that has actually done the swap, all i've found is "i've heard that another guy..." i would think anything could be made to work, if the fabrication skills are there, but if you are paying someone, you have to weigh out the cost of fabrication, vs. hunting an original setup.

solo,

thanks! i would have accepted the offer. after reading the tutorial on the mustang steve site, it ended up being a spur of the moment purchase. i figured a power pedal will broaden the choices as to master cylinder/booster, & all i'll need to do for the 5 speed conversion is add the clutch pedal & cut down the brake pad. now i need to find someone that will lend or "rent" me a 69 clutch pedal for a couple weeks. i have access to some other ford clutch pedals cheap & think i could modify one of those into a mustang pedal if i had a good pattern. hell, i could make the whole thing from bar stock if need be.

kinda leaning towards this setup for booster m/c:

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=160

looks like a similar combo to the one ultrastang put together using a 2.3 fox booster & mark vii m/c. i'm also considering a booster /mc combo from a 86 SVO if it's a feasible match. i can get the booster/mc from NAPA for around $150. anybody know if this will work?

kinda leaning towards this setup for booster m/c:

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=160

looks like a similar combo to the one ultrastang put together using a 2.3 fox booster & mark vii m/c. i'm also considering a booster /mc combo from a 86 SVO if it's a feasible match. i can get the booster/mc from NAPA for around $150. anybody know if this will work?

Just curious, Why not use a remanufactured 69 booster and MC from Checkers? About the same price. At least you'll know the firewall bolt pattern is correct.

With drum brakes:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=A1C&MfrPartNumber=506205&PartType=250&PTSet=A

i had looked into that option, but crunching some numbers, i can buy the new unit from master power for the same price as the reman units at the local parts stores. the core charges are what drives the price up on the older mustangs as i don't have any turn in parts. i don't mind $10-$20 but core charges on the older setup are right at $100.

Interesting time to find this thread. I'm sandblasting the EC next week and will be removing the Power Unit/ Servo and master and will for sure replace it..... Now with what. MP Parts new? Parts America reman?

Any other options? - front disc and Manual transmission...