Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrD2

428cj

I have found a 428CJ and need to get a breakdown of the casting numbers to find exactly what it is. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I don't have a clue about this engine except the owners word and I don't know him. These are the numbers:

block C6ME-A

intake C6AE

head C7AE-A

crank IU

Thanks, MrD2

oh boy oh boy, the things I have learned since my owning a 428. Firstly,does it have a "C" which looks like a weld bead on the rear of the block? Those numbers on the block dont mean squat. All " FE " engines had casting numbers,and some didnt, none meant anything set in stone. Measure bore,stroke to be sure its a 428, not a 410, etc. Those are not CJ heads.CJ heads are C8oe-6090. I have a 70 block with no casting numbers,has a C in rear. That intake is not a CJ,earliest is late 67. That C6ME block number could be on a 70 block, check the date stamp below oil filter housing. The FE Ford is a tough one. GO to http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/ Hey also, it could be a 390 bored to a 428 bore. Look for the webbing on the main bearing saddles.

Nope, Ive been laid off due to the terrible housing market around here. The Mach 1 has not been touched all winter. I planned on getting her painted, but its not happening this year.

While you're over at the FordFE/network54 site, do a search on the "drill bit test" too. Sometimes even those smaller-cube blocks have thick enough cylinder walls to handle a 4.13" (428) bore. While rare, there are some nice extra-webbing, thick cylinder-walled 390 blocks out there. Just don't pay full 428 price for them, hehe.

I really appreciate all the good info about these numbers. As I said I knew nothing about the big blocks. I think I'll stick with my 351CJ for now. I'll keep this info in case I run on to another "supposedly" big block CJ or SCJ.

Thanks, MrD2

Bah, another one scared off of an FE, lol.

The casting #s on the FE line is infuriating...they can mean anything, or nothing. You have to know about FEs to know what to look for.

Not sure if it's the same way with other Ford engine families, or if that's unique to FEs.

I'm not scared off but I don't want to pay a high price for a "supposed to be" 428CJ. I can handle a good price on an engine if it checks out to be real. I have a 351CJ that I'm currently building to put in my clone Shelby de Mexico 69 Mustang. I'll keep looking for the big blocks also.:whistling: MrD2

I'm not scared off but I don't want to pay a high price for a "supposed to be" 428CJ. I can handle a good price on an engine if it checks out to be real. I have a 351CJ that I'm currently building to put in my clone Shelby de Mexico 69 Mustang. I'll keep looking for the big blocks also.:whistling: MrD2

Hmmm, sounds interesting, so how are you handling the sail panels and hood? Not sure how accurate you are trying to get but the one thing that always really bugged me about those was the indention left behind from the side scoop removal.

If it had CJ heads, Intake, and the "C" in the rear of the block, I would buy it, but not having those, I would just buy it for a possible stroker block. A std 428 ( Galaxie, Tbird ) block is good too. They dont have the extra webbing in the main bearing saddles, but a 400 hp build wont matter. I know there are lots of std 428s out there with CJ heads, Intakes, crank, rods, cams, and other " Cobra-Jet" items bolted to them to make it a CJ. After all thats what Tasca did to " invent " the Cobra Jet. He put 427 med riser heads on a std 428, and history was made. I have been collecting a few std 428s, maybe someday they will be something.

The hood is a standard coupe hood with scoop and hood tach added. The indentions are to be closed with sheet metal and adding in the tunnel brake scoops. The beauty of a Shelby de Mexico is that there was no specific build lay out. You bought them according to what you could afford.

The rear fins were made of fibreglass. I bought mine off a totaled fastback and welded them on.

I didn't start a thread on this because I have a lot of health problems and go for extended periods that I can't work on it. It's very slow for me but I keep on because I love it and hope to some day see the finished product! I have almost everything I need for it now on shelves in my shop.

I'll try to keep you posted as I can. Maybe I can get some pics up soon. Thanks for the interest. MrD2

The hood is a standard coupe hood with scoop and hood tach added. The indentions are to be closed with sheet metal and adding in the tunnel brake scoops. The beauty of a Shelby de Mexico is that there was no specific build lay out. You bought them according to what you could afford.

The rear fins were made of fibreglass. I bought mine off a totaled fastback and welded them on.

I didn't start a thread on this because I have a lot of health problems and go for extended periods that I can't work on it. It's very slow for me but I keep on because I love it and hope to some day see the finished product! I have almost everything I need for it now on shelves in my shop.

I'll try to keep you posted as I can. Maybe I can get some pics up soon. Thanks for the interest. MrD2

i totally hear ya there, with my back problems, fibromayalgia and arthritis i don't get much done on my own either, i always have to someone at least hanging out with me while i'm doing anything other than small stuff i can do on my desk in the house. helps to keep me motivated and i have someone to help me out if i get in a bind, either doing something to the car or physically get my body in a bind....LOL

definitely post up some pics as soon as you can, you have piqued my interest with this since my car was going to be a combination, mexican shelby/california special type thing, obvioulsy the plan changed a little when i decided i was going to sell it though

Project sounds sweet! We'd be remiss to fail to mention look out for stolen blocks....(Not that you'd know any thieves, but if my block had been stolen, I'd be looking at every 302/302/or 351 I could hear about.)

Truck, thanks for the heads up. I'm 56 so I guess I'm considered from the old school. We are ALWAYS watching for stolen goods. My block came from a guy that had started to build it. It was sort of a father-son project until the dad had a stroke and the son lost interest. I bought it as a plain 351 Cleveland then ran the numbers and found it is a CJ. The block was laying upside down in the floor of a small smoke house with a set of Dover reman. 2V heads on a shelf for it. Needless to say it now has 4V heads being rebuilt for it. I guess I'll sell the Dovers plus some other items soon. MrD2