Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69fstback

tire size? BIG!!

heh, as a side note all this is why I am going to wait until my rear suspension is done (EvM 3-link) and my ride height is dialed before I order a custom rear end width. I may have to go slightly shorter - I am just on the cusp. It's hard to tell on these pictures, but it's possible there could be some rubbing if I go an inch or two lower. None of these are good angles but they can show you what a 275/40/17 with a 5.5"bs looks like:

http://gallery.mac.com/jbauder/100014/P1000341/web.jpg

http://gallery.mac.com/jbauder/100014/DSC03115/web.jpg

heh, as a side note all this is why I am going to wait until my rear suspension is done (EvM 3-link) and my ride height is dialed before I order a custom rear end width. I may have to go slightly shorter - I am just on the cusp. It's hard to tell on these pictures, but it's possible there could be some rubbing if I go an inch or two lower. None of these are good angles but they can show you what a 275/40/17 with a 5.5"bs looks like:

http://gallery.mac.com/jbauder/100014/P1000341/web.jpg

http://gallery.mac.com/jbauder/100014/DSC03115/web.jpg

have you ordered the EVM Tri-Link yet? Mike keeps teasing me about building one for the cougar but i don't think i'll be able to afford it anyway, the TCP G-Bar is going to be eating up a big chunk of my budget anyway so i think i'm going to have to make some compromises up front. i think i'm going to go with the full CPP front suspension with my Opentracker roller perches and some decent springs and shocks. 4MuscleMachines is going to sell me his front QA-1's for about half price so that will help the old budget out some and then maybe later on down the road i can get John (opentracker) to build me a custom front coilover setup for it like i've been wanting, using most of his roller front end stuff with the CPP lower arms.

have you ordered the EVM Tri-Link yet? Mike keeps teasing me about building one for the cougar but i don't think i'll be able to afford it anyway, the TCP G-Bar is going to be eating up a big chunk of my budget anyway so i think i'm going to have to make some compromises up front. i think i'm going to go with the full CPP front suspension with my Opentracker roller perches and some decent springs and shocks. 4MuscleMachines is going to sell me his front QA-1's for about half price so that will help the old budget out some and then maybe later on down the road i can get John (opentracker) to build me a custom front coilover setup for it like i've been wanting, using most of his roller front end stuff with the CPP lower arms.

I have 295/50/15's with a 3.5" backspacing (my sig pic) they fit fine, I only scrub over every bump:whistling:

Don't you have a bigger pic than the one in your sig? It looks like yours stick way out past the fender like I was telling him and he should see that and make sure he is happy with that look if that's the way he want's to go.

I have 295/50/15's with a 3.5" backspacing (my sig pic) they fit fine, I only scrub over every bump:whistling:

Don't you have a bigger pic than the one in your sig? It looks like yours stick way out past the fender like I was telling him and he should see that and make sure he is happy with that look if that's the way he want's to go.

I did. His credit card system has something wrong - I tried two working VISA cards and they didn't work, so I did the "send a check" option and he said that's fine, wait to send the check.

If I didn't already have the UP (TCP copy) front suspension, I'd look into different options - looks like you have some good stuff there. I do like that I have QA1s in the front and will have QA1s in the rear too - both single adjust, but there's some comfort knowing it's the exact same coilover. I still don't know what weight to order (225 lb?) on his system. Since it has that layback design, I am sure it doesn't have to be as high lb. as a normal shock, so I asked for his advice on that one. I went with the stabar, AL links, and spherical end links. Trans-Am wannabe, dontcha know! :shifty:

I did. His credit card system has something wrong - I tried two working VISA cards and they didn't work, so I did the "send a check" option and he said that's fine, wait to send the check.

If I didn't already have the UP (TCP copy) front suspension, I'd look into different options - looks like you have some good stuff there. I do like that I have QA1s in the front and will have QA1s in the rear too - both single adjust, but there's some comfort knowing it's the exact same coilover. I still don't know what weight to order (225 lb?) on his system. Since it has that layback design, I am sure it doesn't have to be as high lb. as a normal shock, so I asked for his advice on that one. I went with the stabar, AL links, and spherical end links. Trans-Am wannabe, dontcha know! :shifty:

can't wait to see pics when you get the system in and also once it gets installed

can't wait to see pics when you get the system in and also once it gets installed

245 60's on a 8.5 wide wheel with 3.75 backspace in these pics. They don't rub or stick out but needless to say I won't be making my car a low rider. If you want your car low in the rear you will need to tuck them in more than 3.75.. No way they would clear the rear lip even with my "small" 245's.

245 60's on a 8.5 wide wheel with 3.75 backspace in these pics. They don't rub or stick out but needless to say I won't be making my car a low rider. If you want your car low in the rear you will need to tuck them in more than 3.75.. No way they would clear the rear lip even with my "small" 245's.

YA i hate the low back end look. I think im going with a 15X7 or 15x8 with a 255/60/15 they should fit just fine it seems becasue i have a 245/60/15 on there now with a inch untill the lip Thanks

I orginally did 255/60/15 on the back and it was smaller than my front tires (225/70/15). Luckily the shop took them back and I did 275/60/15 on 15x8 - 4.5bs. IMO that with the 225/70 fronts is the perfect stance for 15" tires. It levels the car as there is only .8" difference between the tire heights. Also I love the look for a 15" tire. With 15" tires you want the classic look that shows some sidewall.

That is the set up in my sig.

I plan to drop the car a bit and go with 245/40/17 and 295/35/18 with rolling the lips.

YA i hate the low back end look. I think im going with a 15X7 or 15x8 with a 255/60/15 they should fit just fine it seems becasue i have a 245/60/15 on there now with a inch untill the lip Thanks

I orginally did 255/60/15 on the back and it was smaller than my front tires (225/70/15). Luckily the shop took them back and I did 275/60/15 on 15x8 - 4.5bs. IMO that with the 225/70 fronts is the perfect stance for 15" tires. It levels the car as there is only .8" difference between the tire heights. Also I love the look for a 15" tire. With 15" tires you want the classic look that shows some sidewall.

That is the set up in my sig.

I plan to drop the car a bit and go with 245/40/17 and 295/35/18 with rolling the lips.

Eventually, if you really like the wheels and want to lower the back a little more than those would allow, you could always custom order a narrower rear housing from Currie or the like. It's always an option for anyone that likes a particular wheel design with less backspace but also wants the back a little lower.

Eventually, if you really like the wheels and want to lower the back a little more than those would allow, you could always custom order a narrower rear housing from Currie or the like. It's always an option for anyone that likes a particular wheel design with less backspace but also wants the back a little lower.

Ok, I went out to the garage to get some pics showing inner and outer clearances of my 17x9, 5.5 backspace, wheels with 275/40/17 rubber. I know we are talking about 15" wheels in the thread, but some of these pics might be useful. 9" wheel with 5.5bs= 8" wheel with 5"bs.

http://gallery.mac.com/jbauder#100036

As a slight side note/hijack, given these pics, what would anyone vote that I should do if I get a custom rear housing length and I want this to be smack dab between the inner wheel housing and the outer wheelwell lip? I can always try the sandbags in the trunk / heavy buddy in the trunk trick, but any opinions here? I would love to go with a narrower rear by an inch or two. Axle snubber will probably be removed with my EvM rear when I get it done, but not sure on that point.

Ok, I went out to the garage to get some pics showing inner and outer clearances of my 17x9, 5.5 backspace, wheels with 275/40/17 rubber. I know we are talking about 15" wheels in the thread, but some of these pics might be useful. 9" wheel with 5.5bs= 8" wheel with 5"bs.

http://gallery.mac.com/jbauder#100036

As a slight side note/hijack, given these pics, what would anyone vote that I should do if I get a custom rear housing length and I want this to be smack dab between the inner wheel housing and the outer wheelwell lip? I can always try the sandbags in the trunk / heavy buddy in the trunk trick, but any opinions here? I would love to go with a narrower rear by an inch or two. Axle snubber will probably be removed with my EvM rear when I get it done, but not sure on that point.

looks like a 1" narrower rearend would work well for you there. if you can find one a versailles housing would work great for you. it's narrower, has a beefier housing like a truck and has the big bearings as well. you don't need a complete versailles rear, just the housing. or you could order a new one from currie or whoever.

looks like a 1" narrower rearend would work well for you there. if you can find one a versailles housing would work great for you. it's narrower, has a beefier housing like a truck and has the big bearings as well. you don't need a complete versailles rear, just the housing. or you could order a new one from currie or whoever.