Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foothilltom

POR-15 Question

Distinguished gents,

Does POR 15 adhere to non-rusted services? I'm just now removing the fenders from my coupe and noting a sporadic coating of rust along the top edge. In addition, the fender wells themselves have what appears to be a "factory coating" of rubber-like substance, but it has come off in chunks, exposing metal.

Ideally, I'd like to coat the underside of the fender and the fender well with something to prevent rust, but I wasn't sure if POR 15 is the ticket.

Thanks as always. And happiest of holidays to everyone here.

Tom

Ah - one of my favorite subjects and products. Yes POR 15 will work on non rusted parts as a coating or cover. I've used it on many different applications including my undercarriage, inside the doors and the trunk. Covering both light surface rust to bare metal. Works great and can be painted over.

Use a foam brush if the surface is smooth otherwise an inexpensive bristle brush will work.

BE CAREFUL - do not get it on yourself and for sure not on your paint. It will NOT come off if you let it dry on any surface. As they advertise - the only thing that takes POR 15 off skin is time....

Check out my page in the gallery - I have several pics of where I used it.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1

i agree , i use por-15 alot. in fact, the whole underneath of my 69 chevy truck including frame is por-15. it will work best on clean, sandblasted metal. it helps to blast the metal lightly to give the coating a good bite. if you put it on over another coating, it will only be as strong as what it is applied over.

Distinguished gents,

In addition, the fender wells themselves have what appears to be a "factory coating" of rubber-like substance, but it has come off in chunks, exposing metal.

Thanks as always. And happiest of holidays to everyone here.

Tom

The factory proof coating(rubber-like substance), in time, loses it's flexibility and therefore it's adhesion as well. It would be best to remove as much as you can. Paint stripper will remove it but be VERY CAREFUL not to get it anywhere you don't want it.:scared: A wire wheel on a grinder or in a drill is messy but helps. I removed the proof coating off my floor with these methods and had reasonable success. You can clean up spatter from the wire wheeling , with prepsol. I'm sure there are other methods that are effective as well.

'All the best' on your holidays as well!

Russell

Just to add to the posts above....

I was at Carlisle several years ago and the POR 15 vendor had painted a 3" metal pipe. He proceeded to bang the pipe with a hammer, heated it with a blow torch and then bent the pipe. POR15 held up through out the process..... That day I bought 2 quarts and did my undercarriage - still looks great and cleans up very easy.

Por 15 applies very well with a hvlp paint gun. I usead my old primer gun. As long as you immediently clean the gun it works great. Very, very toxic to breath. Use good respirator. Covers very well. Much easier than brushing on. Its almost worth going down and buying a harbor freight cheap paint gun for the application. Then just throw it away if you want to. My gun cleaned up fine and have reused it several times. Good luck and be safe