Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foothilltom

Removing Seat Belts

Dang, I can't wait to have a *good* question. Until then, another dumb one...

What kind of socket is required to remove those star-shaped bolts on the seat belt anchors? I've scoured my tools and I have only a few crappy drill bits with that shape. I've heard the term "torx socket" but I have no idea what size and if that's the actual name.

Thanks as usual to you kind folks.

Tom

should be either a t-45 or t-50 torx socket. probably the 50 ( seems ford used one size & gm used the other, but can't remember which one used which at the moment). you should be able to find one at the local auto parts store for a few dollars.

They aren't expensive at all, under $5 at most Ace hardware stores. Removing it with a hex key is one thing but tightening it back down enough is a whole other thing, seatbelts aren't the type of thing to Mickey Mouse, especially when you all you have is a lap belt, IMHO. Besides, if you strip it with the hex you're screwed. Many cars have never had them removed and they could take some force.

Interesting timing of your post, Pakrat. I literally came back from the garage 5 minutes ago after having success with only 2 bolts with my hex wrench. I started to actually round off the hex wrench with the more stubborn bolts. I'm leaving for the HW store right now, though the guy only thinks they have T-10 to T-40. If I strike out, it's off to the Auto parts store...which sounds easy but I live in Green freaking Acres and everything is 20 minutes away!

Tom