Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

Shelby Rear Kit on a Vert/Coupe

Has anyone reviewed using this kit with a stock rear tail light panel?

http://www.mustangunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=SDK1+01

It includes the deck lid and quarter extensions. They actually list a 67/68 version that "eliminates the gap present when Shelby extensions are used with the stock Mustang taillight panel." (http://www.mustangunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=X1104LH+01) but nothing is mentioned in the 69/70 version.

I know Pak's experience with his and assume the same issue will be involved here?

I guess one could go with the Shelby rear panel but that's almost too much Shelby to me...

-Stephen

The "eliminate gap" type is essentially the same custom kit that Maier makes for the 69' coupe ala the Steve Kleva car. As you know I totally agree on the too much Shelby concept which is why I chose the road less traveled way for my car. Honestly, if you want the Shelby look then making it fit custom is the only way to go. Either kit has the hollow gap on the underside that personally I think looks better sealed all the way across anyway and the trunk lid has a pretty unfinished clamped together look on the sides and edges anyway so unless you don't care about a clean trunk open look then some glassing and finishing work is unavoidable no matter what.

BEFORE:

101_0171.sized.jpg

101_0186.sized.jpg

AFTER:

6_28_progress_007.sized.jpg

Picture_003.sized.jpg

FACTORY EDGE:

101_0178.sized.jpg

SMOOTHED EDGE:

trunk_lid_side_001.sized.jpg

Also note shown here, 91-93 Mustang adjustable hatch bumper mounted to lid instead of stock body mount bumper to make getting the height and gap just right when closed.

I actually picked the kit up a while ago myself, and there is no doubt that fiberglass work is going to be needed on my car, Pakrat, did you do the fiberglass yourself or did someone do it for you? if so how much did it run ya?

I decided it was best to leave all the bodywork to the pro's. I have no idea what the break down of just that part was but it probably cost as much as the kit itself or more to get it the way I wanted it.