Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1BAD351

Did coupes comes with functional side scoops?

Any reason some coupes have the fake side scoops and some dont? I'm thinking I want mine gone....

Some take them off, leaving you with the sheet-metal-imprint. You can Bondo that out, or get some shelby scoops, like I plan on.

ok sweet, I thought i was right i told him id lay down my pink slip for it, but then he had me worried lol:rockon:

I remember a guy who swore to me that some 69 Mach 1s had lights on the round emblem on the C-pillar. He was so adamant about it, I was starting to believe him.

The only 69' coupe that had a functional side scoop belonged to a guy named Jack. Unfortunately your friend does not seem to know him.

Even on Shelby cars the side scoop was only functional to cool the rear brakes up to 1967. After that they stopped doing it to cut costs and it was just a bolt on item. I added the shelby scoops to my car and wanted to make them fucnctional but it is near impossible to do on a car that has rear windows. That is probably another reason why you only see it up to 67' as well when Shelby only did fastbacks.

Any reason some coupes have the fake side scoops and some dont? I'm thinking I want mine gone....

BTW, the only 69' coupe body to come with the side scoop deleted from the factory was the Shelby de' Mexico. I personally think seeing a big ole cavity there is hideous but to each his own. This whole Mexican car looks like a bad inbred love child of a Shelby and Stang that hooked up at woodstock back in 69' anyway. I guess the tail is kind of the inspiration for the Maier coupe piece today but the hybrid Mustang/Shelby hood never seemed to catch on in the aftermarket I guess nor the fastback looking sale panels. I don't know how many of these were ever made but it still perplexes me that Shelby went to the trouble of making these unique pieces for what must have been a limited offering.

1969ShelbydeMexico-3.jpg

1969ShelbydeMexico-4.jpg

Pak, the mexi-shelby was not actually made by Shelby, it was actually made by a guy in Mexico who was friends with Carroll and licensed the rights from him to make these cars. they had to use the regular coupe body because mexcian federal regulations required that cars sold new there had to be at least 80% made in mexico and all the body shells had to be constructed there. they didn't have the tooling in Mexico to make the fastback or vert body shells so only the coupe was available. also the fake fastback look on a coupe was pretty popular in Mexico, there were many different models made with them from all manufacturers that had a similar coupe body style with the inset rear window like a 69 stang. i'v seen pics of dodge darts and a couple other different car that had this feature.

Pak, the mexi-shelby was not actually made by Shelby, it was actually made by a guy in Mexico who was friends with Carroll and licensed the rights from him to make these cars. they had to use the regular coupe body because mexcian federal regulations required that cars sold new there had to be at least 80% made in mexico and all the body shells had to be constructed there. they didn't have the tooling in Mexico to make the fastback or vert body shells so only the coupe was available. also the fake fastback look on a coupe was pretty popular in Mexico, there were many different models made with them from all manufacturers that had a similar coupe body style with the inset rear window like a 69 stang. i'v seen pics of dodge darts and a couple other different car that had this feature.

Well, even if they aren't registered as Shelby's it doesn't change the fact that special tooling did have to be made just for them and someone had to swallow that expense, that's what I meant. Because the sail panels are covered with vinyl they could be roughly formed by anything but stamping a hood and making a trunk lid and extensions are not cheap add ons.

Well, even if they aren't registered as Shelby's it doesn't change the fact that special tooling did have to be made just for them and someone had to swallow that expense, that's what I meant. Because the sail panels are covered with vinyl they could be roughly formed by anything but stamping a hood and making a trunk lid and extensions are not cheap add ons.

huh? i never said anything about them being cheap or not being registered as shelby's. in fact they are registered as shelby cars and you're right that those pieces weren't cheap to make. all i said was that they had to be made as coupes and most of the parts had to be made in mexico. these cars didn't even come with consoles though because they didn't make them in mexico and to import from the US would have put the car dangerously close or over the percentage of allowed non-mexican parts.

OK, let me start over. Regardless of who made them I am suprised that anyone (or any juan) would have made special parts just for them only, how's that?

So maybe the side scoops were USA made too? I wonder exactly what parts were made in Mexico other than the body and the famous 302?

yes the sides scoops, both versions, were made in the US. mexico made parts were engines, tramsmissions, many of the suspension parts, body shell and other smaller parts were made in mexico. i think most of the electronics were made in the US.