Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Jade

Front Spring Help

I am wanting to lower my 69 fastback 1" lower in front. I have looked at numerous numbers of springs and dont know what to buy. I have seen 600lb, 520lb, progressive rate types, cut a coil or two off my originals. Any suggestions or actual experiance with any of the above would help greatly. Also on KYB shocks, which to buy, GR2 or gas adjust? Car has 302 with air and power steering.

You’re going to get lot’s of opinions on this. First off it depends on how you’re going to use the car. For the auto-crossing, then go with the lowered 620 springs. However, for normal street driving, it will beat you to death. I’d like to try the progressive rate types myself when I change out my 620 springs. I also have a 1 1/8†front and 7/8†rear sway bars on my ’70 Mach. Mine is a pretty rough ride on less than perfect highways (LOL). For a small block car I’d be very careful about getting springs too stiff. You’re better off with softer springs and bigger sway bars. Years ago, cars came without sway bars but very stiff springs; nowadays they use huge sway bars and softer springs. On my old ’70 302 Grabber Mustang, just going to a larger sway bar help the handling tremendously without affecting normal ride quality.

As far as shocks, it the same question. I’d go with KYB GR-2 gas series shock absorbers as they are a more streetable shock. I have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks now and they are a little stiff for normal driving and cruising.

Well that’s just one persons opinion (mine ... LOL).

Good luck

BE AWARE!! i had the 620# and wanted the dropped look soooo I cut 1 coil out and it dropped about 1.5" so i wanted another 1" so i said to myself one more coil should do it. WRONG after you cut one whole coil you need to only cut maybe a 1/4 coil at a time to get the "look" your after. I had to buy a new set and cut one coil off and now at the suggestion of others wait about a month and back together then cut a little more to get the look. In other words 1 coil at first may equal a inch but the second coil is far more!!! with the 620`s and one coild cut mine rides great, its a 69 fb with 351c. Hole this helps.

I've got the 620s, gas adjust, 1 1/8 sway bar, roller perches, monte carlo and export brace. The car rides great. Only issue is that 620s even though were suppose to drop an inch sat higher than springs I took off. It not worth it to me to takew off and cut though - sits level. I've got 4.5 leaf standard eyes with monroes in the back. I thought about the shelby drop but was concerned that I may have to deal with alignment issues (probabaly just being paranoid). I've got a 302, auto, air, ps, 1970 sportsroof. I replaced all front end parts while I was at it - very satified with combo. Good Luck.

No, not paranoid, you absolutely should change the alignment specs after the drop but it's not like it's a big deal. The specs have been posted countless times.

hell, i've had 750lb coils on my car since the late 80's but they haven't been cut. i may have cut a little bit off of them once i get the 5 leaf rear springs put on but not sure just yet. right now the front tires are about .5-.75" from the fender lip (height wise) and it might look better if they were tucked in just slightly (no gap between tire and fender).

anyway the ride isn't rough in my car at all, but i have been using monroe gas matic shocks until this rebuild then i'm going with KYB gas-adjust up front and GR-2 out back, also running Opentracker roller perches up front as well and a 1" front swaybar. i have a 351w, AC and power steering as well.