Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*JackBurton*

What size tires are these?? [PIC]

1109661299_pic26650.jpg

I'm guess these are 17x?? size rims but what size are the tires? I'm getting ready to order my wheels and plan on going with the V60 over the V45.

I would go with these

P1010035.JPG but i'm worried that I might have clearance issues.

I think with the case of the V60 17" is a must but with the V45 and V48 you can go 16" and it will look right.

1109661299_pic26650.jpg

I'm guess these are 17x?? size rims but what size are the tires? I'm getting ready to order my wheels and plan on going with the V60 over the V45.

I would go with these

P1010035.JPG but i'm worried that I might have clearance issues.

I think with the case of the V60 17" is a must but with the V45 and V48 you can go 16" and it will look right.

all of the VWW wheels are available with the same backspacing so it shouldn't matter whether you go 16 or 17

all of the VWW wheels are available with the same backspacing so it shouldn't matter whether you go 16 or 17

Any idea on the tire size in the first photo? I'm guessing 17x8 4.5" backspacing wheels all around but no idea on the tire size. :confused:

Jack, the aspect ratio of a tire is exactly that - a ratio. For example, a 60 series tire has a side wall height that is 60% of the tread width and a 45 series tire's sidewall height is 45% of the width. So, without knowing the width of the tire, there's no way to even guess the aspect ratio.

60 series tires generally tend to work well with 15" wheels while 17" wheels generally require 45 series tires, however, this is all dependant on the width you choose.

Any idea on the tire size in the first photo? I'm guessing 17x8 4.5" backspacing wheels all around but no idea on the tire size. :confused:

Assuming 17x8, I would guess either 235/45-17 or 245/45-17.

My father always says if you're going to guess, guess anything. In other words, a guess has essentially no value. Those mini-lites could be 15s for all we know.

Based on numerous people sharing their experiences here, the 17 x 8s all around would fit with 245s in the front (although 4.75 would be better) and that or wider in the rear.

Thank you for explaining the ratio, I never knew that.

I was asking about the size just to give me a ballpark reference as to how things might look. For example the 2nd photo the wheels are V48 16X8" 4.5" backspace front & rear -but I have no idea what size tire that is. It would be nice to have a little clue just for reference. The first photo I have no data on, but they look like 17".

Between photos, measurements on my car, and dodgestang's chart I can pick out what I need. In no way do I plan on using the photos/responses as a sole source to buy tires with.

I was asking about the size just to give me a ballpark reference as to how things might look. For example the 2nd photo the wheels are V48 16X8" 4.5" backspace front & rear -but I have no idea what size tire that is.

For the 2nd photo with 16x8 wheels I would guess the tires are 245/50-16.

Jack, here are some calculators you can fool around with online.

For reference stock size and max size on stock 14" rims were generally listed as below:

1965 - 1970 stock replacement 195/70/14

65-66 largest recommended size 205/70/14

67-68 largest recommended size 215/70/14

69-70 largest recommended size 225/70/14

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

http://www.dsm.org/tools/tiresize.htm

I decided it was better safe than sorry so rather than trying to stuff the most meat possible on the new 17" rims I will be going with I am choosing to use an 8" up front with 4.5" of BS and a 245/45-17 and a 9.5" out back wth 5.5" of BS and a 275/40-17. This was based on many many many threads of info from various folks. This will basically give me the same overall size as a stock tire to keep the speedo accurate and also make the sidewall of the tires about the same size even though the back tires will be wider. Just FYI.

that would be my guess also. the tires in the first pic also look to be 245's as well but rather a 245/45-17 (same size i have) at least in the front.

Well it's funny I like the V60 but it only comes in 17" and IMO looks better as a 17" version. However the V48 looks much better in a 16" version. I'm going to either buy them from streetortrtack or see if VWW has some 2nds for sale. <--I live 40mins away from them.

If I go 17" I will more than likely go the same route Pak is going. The V48 really give the car a classic look with a slightly bigger rim.

Well, if it helps you decide any, 16" is the most difficult size to fit on our cars if you want to go with anything wider than 7". The 16" rim at an 8" width hits the upper ball joint unless you don't want it tucked in with backspace and have it stick out past the fender lip. The reason people jump from a 14" or 15" by 7" rim directly to a 17" by 8" rim is because at 17" it clears the upper ball joint and allows you to use more backspace so you can tuck them in.