Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaleRider

How Hard to Remove Lower Dash?

I think I may be biting off more than I can chew on my 70 Redoing my interior - which was really not that bad in the first place (little of a perfectionist).

I've removed intrument bezels, replaces circuit board, and replaces lenses painted etc - not a big deal. But lower dash needs painted. I thought I would change bezels, lighter, washer, lights etc. but it looks like the only way to do is to remove the metal lower dash - all the wiring gets me a little nervous.

Like to hear from other others that removed that section and how big of a deal was it? May not be worth it just to dress the chrome up a little.

it's really no that hard to do. there are 2 bolts on each side of the dash that hold it to the A-pillars and 2 or 3 brackets for the cowl and the unbolthing the steering column from the lower dash (you don't need to remove the column) and that's pretty much it, well of course you have to remove all the wiring and the vacuum lines and cables for the heater/ac box.

you can actually remove all of the switches and bezels without removing the lower dash though, they all pretty screw into backing plates behind the dash.

edit: you will need a helper to to help with reassemble though. and wrap the column with a towel or something to keep from scratching it all up, just don't ask me how i know that.

I'll take a closer look at get bezels out that would be great if I could - did not look like I could get a screw driver back there though. I can paint it in place if I can get the bezels out. - thanks for the reply.

edit: you will need a helper to to help with reassemble though. and wrap the column with a towel or something to keep from scratching it all up, just don't ask me how i know that.

Hehe... heck, I've already scratched mine and I haven't even STARTED on the dash yet. That nice looking metal flake paint seems really easy to chip.. :sad:

You can do it Palerider.. just take your time and work through it!

-Stephen

Here is a tip for future reassembly, trace the outline if the brackets BEFORE you unbolt them. This will help make sure the alignment is perfect the first time when you reassemble it. Any marks you make will not be visiable when your done!!! Just my few cents, adam