Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

02EBZ06

Whats this car worth--thread II

looks like a nice overall project car just make sure that fresh paint is hiding any rust or other issues.

off hand, some things i noticed were rust in the radiator support next to the battery so i'm going to guess it will also need a battery tray/fender apron as well. obviously the chrome trim around the grill is missing and the door and fender gaps on the passenger side are a little off but i don't see any obvious signs of accident damage under hood but the pic isn't all that great so i can't be 100% certain but what i can see looks alright. it's going to at least some interior work judging by the lack of door panels and the taped up steering wheel, but it does have the tach dash which is a nice bonus, very cool!!!

front suspension is sitting awfully low which is only exaggerated by the very low profile front tires but it does look like it will need suspension work and you might as well plan on some brake work while you're there. as far as the differences between the 302 and 351 the only real differences are spring rates and the brakes. the 302 uses smaller drums front and rear than the 351-up cars as 70mach03 recently pointed out in another thread. other than that they are the same suspension and body wise as well.

overall, i'd say this is a pretty nice project car. i'd say it's probably a 10-12k car but obviously if you can it for less all the better. defintely a nicer overall car than the white one.

All the above plus the suspension on the 302 is not as heavy duty as the 351 and up cars. Front spring rates are less and the sway bar is slightly smaller. All that is easy to upgrade, plus any 69 or 70 car I bought would have an export brace and Monte Carlo bar added to tighten up the front suspension.

I guess price depends a lot on your location but I'd look at all the missing interior parts and such and deduct accordingly.

How well would you rate the paint job? It looks pretty good, but may be a ten-footer. I'm seeing what looks like primer overspray in the wheelwells, maybe even some color on the leaf springs, but it's hard to tell. Point being that it may have been a careless or inexpensive job.

Value to me is directly proportional to the quality of the paint and body work. If this one needs redoing to meet specs, I'd rather have one like the San Jose white fastback for $8,500 and do it right.

I'd offer $6k. It's not a Mach 1, it's only a 302 sportsroof. As long as it's a nice solid car I'd go for it, then start doing the suspension and interior as noted.

Also check the condition of the shock towers, look for any signs of cracks.

Check the underside of the car. Popular rust areas include the rear interior areas of the front frame rails, front torque boxes, the rear section of the rear frame rails (around the rear shackle mount), and the front outer/inner areas of the front frame rails. Also check the floorboards for previous replacement and shoddy work. Pop the trunk and look at the inside of the quarter panel, especially near the top body line. You will be able to tell if they have skinned the quarters. I think $6k is in the ballpark as for price, assuming the motor doesn't need rebuilt. Interior doesn't cost much so i wouldn't worry too much about that. It's mainly the rust issues that kill these cars and is where you run into big $$ if you have to replace them.

Agreed though with all the suckers out there I don't see anyone accepting 6k for their car if it runs and looks Ok at 20 feet personally unless they only have 4k invested in it, it has major issues and they need to pass the buck quickly. Just look at the dillusions the owner of the white car had. Regardless of what it is actually worth I'd be surprised if the current owner of this car has anything less than 5 digits in mind.

Use that check list so you are sure not to miss anythig, pour water in the cowls and lookk at the front floor pans under the carpet, that will instantly give you an idea of just how far you need to dig and poke around on this car.

How readily available are parts for these cars? If I wanted, could I replace most anything on the car?

For example, when I look at the interior, I'm thinking replace the entire interior inluding dash,console, and steering wheel, heater core,etc.

The guy advertised this car as 85-90% done, but when I look at it, I see

new paint, engine work, detail underhood, and a complete interior. Based on how its sitting, lots of suspension work and I don't see any disk brakes on those wheels yet. Uh, hopefully not rust to contend with.

I'm not shooting for the "orig" setup, but something better and close to stock.

... Just look at the dillusions the owner of the white car had.

The owner of the white car made a huge mistake. When the car gets to its destination on the E. Coast (its been shipped to Conneticut), I'm sure the resto guy will surprise her with a huge bill to fix the car up right. And, based on the fact that its a plain jane 351/auto/3.0 non-lock rear end/non-fact a/c, it will have a hard time competing w/other mules for resale. T

For perspective, this one sold for $12,100 in June of 2005 on e-bay. I kept the information because I have a thing for Gulfstream Aqua 69s. :001_tt1:

This is an M code with a non-original cleveland and a 4-speed. The original C9OE engine went with the car as well.

The seller had lots of high quality pictures showing the car in great condition.

For perspective, this one sold for $12,100 in June of 2005 on e-bay. I kept the information because I have a thing for Gulfstream Aqua 69s. :001_tt1:

This is an M code with a non-original cleveland and a 4-speed. The original C9OE engine went with the car as well.

The seller had lots of high quality pictures showing the car in great condition.

I would bought that in 2 seconds. I'm the same way, I love that color.

Like already mentioned:

- Front end needs some work. It looks just goofy with that stance and uneven height tires.

- Interior is shot. Plan on replacing just about everything.

- Rust damage is key. Get under that car and go over it with a fine toothed comb. Check floor pans, frame rails, trunk floor, torque boxes, and front shock towers (may need to pull a tire to check properly).

Is there is very little rust, 10k seems reasonable. With significant rust damage that could drop to as low as 5k.

plot thickens. note, the car curr has as 302 in it. 9F02M111001

Well, one upside would be that the car should have the heavier duty suspension and brakes for a 351-4V car with a M-code motor. :biggrin:

Was this car up in the Seattle area? If so, I looked at it in person and wound NOT have paid that price for the car.

The car definitley has some issues, but I'd be very surprised if the seller would let the car go for (much) less than $10K. 4 speed sportsroof = lots of $$$ on eBay!

I'm looking at an original paint/interior 302 C4 that needs help everywhere for $9K and there has been lots of interest in the car.