Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thesubhumans

I want to remove my shock towers... a few questions!

Ok i will be putting a 5.4L DOHC mod motor in my '69 coupe and have found out that although it will fit in my engine bay, i will have to hack up the shock towers to do this and i don't want this to look look like a cobbled up mess when it's finished.

so i was wondering what my options were for removing the shock towers or for making more room in my engine bay?

This guy at the body shop i work at said when he restored a '69 mustang a few years ago he cut the front end off completely and put on a Camaro front end. He claims that all you need to do is fit the radiator support up to the camaro front end and get the fender mount holes lined up and it's good to go... wouldn't that change the wheelbase aswell as making other parts harder to bolt on? I'll have to ask him this weekend when i work...

What about a Mustang II front suspension? has anyone done this and are there any links for companys that sell the kit?

Do i have any more options?

Thanks, Trevor

Ok, i have another question then, would i be able to go to the junkyard and cut the front suspension and everything else that i need to do the swap off of a mustang II and set it up on my '69 mustang? If this is at all possible i would rather do that because i would rather not spend 2 g's on that setup.

Ok, i have another question then, would i be able to go to the junkyard and cut the front suspension and everything else that i need to do the swap off of a mustang II and set it up on my '69 mustang? If this is at all possible i would rather do that because i would rather not spend 2 g's on that setup.

that's not really a feasible swap, not saying it can't be done but by the time you get it all cut and chopped into little pieces and fabricate new parts to adapt the II SF to the 69 you're better off doing the kit from heidts, fat man, rod and custom and many other companies that specialize in MII kits.

Hmmm. It seems like my only option is to buy a complete Mustang II kit.

I measured up the camaro front end and it is 5" wider than the mustang front end so that would require alot of work to setup on my car and also weighs a hell of alot more to boot so i'll scrap that idea. :rolleyes:

And as bnickle stated, it would require alot of work to modify a stock Mustang II front end and even if i did end up doing it... well i would still have a factory Mustang II suspension.

I guess i'll just have to cough up the cash for a kit that fits my car.

Oh, 69fastback393 i must say your Stang is absolutly gorgeous! That rod and custom suspension looks good and seems to be priced more reasonably than some of the other kits out there.

Thanks for the help guys!

I thought I saw a manufacture that makes shock towers for the convertion. It might be the same ones as the modified shock towers for the 460-429 installation. The engine sizes are almost the same. I'll look closer for the ad I know they were yellow towers in the ad. Here's the comparison in the two engine sizes---460-32"L -26W"-26"H ---4.6L MOD--28"L same with DOHC -25 5/8W***30"W-DOHC--26"H***29 7/8 DOHC.

Hope this helps

the DOHC mod motor is over 1" wider than a boss 429!!!!

you need to check out www.critesrestorations.com for the shock tower modification kit or www.dvsrestorations.com they make one specifically for the mod motor swap.

on of these days i would like to build a big body vert for my daughter and put in either a SOHC 4.6 or a 3v 4.6 from a 05/06 stang. should be able to do the swap in a big body with NO shock tower mods at all, or very minor if it does need some kind of modification

Hey bnickel, do you have the correct link for the first website you referred to me? I doesn't seem to be working. And DVS doesn't list there shock towers for sale, i guess i should send them an email seeing as they are a custom shop:001_tongue:

And the mod motor swap is a cool swap because it's not like your average smallblock and i like how it fills out the engine bay. Oh and i wouldn't count on getting one of those 3v motors cheap for a little while, there expensive! A 4v 03-04 cobra motor with t56 and eaton 'charger runs about 7500- 9000:wacko: But the 2v 4.6 can be had for the cheapest

A 2v 5.4 can be had cheaper than both the 4v and 3v 4.6 and if you wanted a 4v 5.4 just find a worn out Navigator 5.4 and swap the heads and other necessary components over and youd still probobly be at about the same cost as a 4v 4.6.

Hey bnickel, do you have the correct link for the first website you referred to me? I doesn't seem to be working. And DVS doesn't list there shock towers for sale, i guess i should send them an email seeing as they are a custom shop:001_tongue:

And the mod motor swap is a cool swap because it's not like your average smallblock and i like how it fills out the engine bay. Oh and i wouldn't count on getting one of those 3v motors cheap for a little while, there expensive! A 4v 03-04 cobra motor with t56 and eaton 'charger runs about 7500- 9000:wacko: But the 2v 4.6 can be had for the cheapest

A 2v 5.4 can be had cheaper than both the 4v and 3v 4.6 and if you wanted a 4v 5.4 just find a worn out Navigator 5.4 and swap the heads and other necessary components over and youd still probobly be at about the same cost as a 4v 4.6.

sorry i added an S at the end, here is the correct link

http://www.critesrestoration.com/

it's going to be a while before i even think about building that car for mu daughter, she's only 7 now. then again, if i started on it right now i MIGHT have it done by her 16th b-day seeing how long it has taken to get my car even close to done.

Ok i will be putting a 5.4L DOHC mod motor in my '69 coupe and have found out that although it will fit in my engine bay, i will have to hack up the shock towers to do this and i don't want this to look look like a cobbled up mess when it's finished.

so i was wondering what my options were for removing the shock towers or for making more room in my engine bay?

This guy at the body shop i work at said when he restored a '69 mustang a few years ago he cut the front end off completely and put on a Camaro front end. He claims that all you need to do is fit the radiator support up to the camaro front end and get the fender mount holes lined up and it's good to go... wouldn't that change the wheelbase aswell as making other parts harder to bolt on? I'll have to ask him this weekend when i work...

What about a Mustang II front suspension? has anyone done this and are there any links for companys that sell the kit?

Do i have any more options?

Thanks, Trevor

Did you happen to see the last episode of muscle car? That dude makes putting in a mustang II suspension look so easy. He really is a skilled craftsman.

Did you happen to see the last episode of muscle car? That dude makes putting in a mustang II suspension look so easy. He really is a skilled craftsman.

Ha.. boy that is true. Personally I like him... master fabber but fun to watch with a personality as well. Heck, he even cut up the front rails to make it lower.

That is still my favorite TV show on cars.. they actually show work and how to, not just bolt on this $3000 front end or brake kit.

-Stephen

No, i missed it! I work Saturdays so i always miss those shows. I guess i'll have to try to find it somewhere on the net.