Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Anyone running cool flex hoses?

http://www.coolflex.com/cfm/welcome.cfm

I had decided almost weeks after my father in law installed them that I did not care for the braided hose wraps he added to my car as much as I thought I would and I was planning on going back to basic black rubber with maybe just some anodized fittings for a little more dress up and now I'm wondering if that is enough and if I shouldn't consider something more like these things. Yes they are like 5 - 6 times more expensive but they are life time too and my god the mix and match option are endless. I could still do them black so they would be low key and have a little more polished aluminum on the ends to keep with my cars current theme.

I'm just curious if anyone has them and if so how do they look and was it worth it?

I was hoping you were actually going to post those after mentioning it, thanks. I don't buy or sell off ebay but now that I know the manufacturer I can look them up directly. I'd still like to paint them black I think so they have a more subtle appearance that way and less flash but I think they might look pretty good, and you're right, way more affordable.

I had them and did not like them. You can see them in my photo gallery.

There were leak problems and they look cheap / blingy. Plastic ends and rubber inserts = scratches and dull surface. Went back to rubber hoses for now.

Russel and Earl's will make a custom braided hose with all the correct bends if you have the goodyear part #. That's the way I will be going. Around $150.

I had them and did not like them. You can see them in my photo gallery.

There were leak problems and they look cheap / blingy. Plastic ends and rubber inserts = scratches and dull surface. Went back to rubber hoses for now.

Mine did have the rubber inserts but they allow a good seal. Mine did not have plastic ends, but rather aluminum or stainless (can't remember). You can purchase them from summit with just the rubber ends (cheaper price), but i think that would look a bit unfinished.

I've heard of some people having leak problems, but i think that is because they don't get the end of the flex hose in the center of the rubber end. If you don't get enough flex hose into the rubber end, it will leak. I've had mine on and off probably about 10 times (can't leave things alone i guess :001_rolleyes: ) and i have yet to have them leak. They will leak whenever i loosen the hose clamps, but that would be a no brainer (this is how i controlably drain the antifreeze since Northern radiators don't have petcocks). As far as cheap/blingy, Pak is going for the black powder coated ones so i think it may get away from the blingy look. But again, i guess it is all in personal taste.

Yeah I'm mainly looking for what alternatives are out there before I make any purchases. I hate to buy something even if it's cheap just to replace it a little later due a mind change rather than out of necessity.

Thanks for all the comments and options.

Yeah I'm mainly looking for what alternatives are out there before I make any purchases. I hate to buy something even if it's cheap just to replace it a little later due a mind change rather than out of necessity.

Thanks for all the comments and options.

personally i would get some of the blue Goodyear Hi-Miler hoses and some black Python hose ends. i think that would look super sharp and would go nicely with the blue/black them of the engine compartment.

here are the hoses

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=GTR%2D5013&N=700+400436+115&autoview=sku

It looks like a slightly lighter shade of blue but those might be sharp lookinging as well at that. Another choice to add to the list. I think for now since all my hoses were barely 2 months old prior to the accident and only the lower radiator hose got chewed up by the fan in the accident that I may just replace that one for now to get it all up and running ASAP and then make this call down the road a little. I can always photoshop the engine bay to make the stock hoses look blue and see how I like it.

It looks like a slightly lighter shade of blue but those might be sharp lookinging as well at that. Another choice to add to the list. I think for now since all my hoses were barely 2 months old prior to the accident and only the lower radiator hose got chewed up by the fan in the accident that I may just replace that one for now to get it all up and running ASAP and then make this call down the road a little. I can always photoshop the engine bay to make the stock hoses look blue and see how I like it.

do the photoshop and see what you think

A fellow VMFer JohnPro has the goodyear blue hoses. You may look him up and get some pics from him. I know Pak and Bnickel are members.

as a matter of fact i have a pic of Scary's engine compartment. glad you brought that up. here is the pic