Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheo69GT

New valve covers

Yeah, it matches the car great, but I probably would have gone with red spark plug wires for a little more red in the engine compartment.

I'm thinking the exact same thing, will probably replace those today. Thanks.

Very nice!!!!!!! Yeah I'd say either paint the red letters blue or add the red wires so it ties in with coil.

Good luck at MCA bud, those headers should help convince them to let you enter occasional driver class. :tt2: J/K, nuttin' but love brother!

Kinda off topic, but Cheo how do you like that Street Avenger carb? Is it the 670cfm and is the motor stock? (351w right?) I'm in the market for a new carb to replace my Edelbrock and was looking at the Avenger 670. How is the acceleration response and does it have the usual lag off idle?

Oh and those valve covers look real nice. Good choice!!

not sure what i wanna do with the edelbrock. I might keep it as a spare in case something happens to my new carb. I'll keep you in mind if i decide to sell it. Do you have the road demon or road demon jr? I'll check that one out, but i haven't heard too many good things about new BG carbs.

Kinda off topic, but Cheo how do you like that Street Avenger carb? Is it the 670cfm and is the motor stock? (351w right?) I'm in the market for a new carb to replace my Edelbrock and was looking at the Avenger 670. How is the acceleration response and does it have the usual lag off idle?

Oh and those valve covers look real nice. Good choice!!

Just FYI for ya, Cheo is at MCA so it may be a few days before you here back from him.

not sure what i wanna do with the edelbrock. I might keep it as a spare in case something happens to my new carb. I'll keep you in mind if i decide to sell it. Do you have the road demon or road demon jr? I'll check that one out, but i haven't heard too many good things about new BG carbs.

mine is road demon. i'm gonna need a carb for the cougar since i'm keeping my C90X intake and putting that on the cougar and either a carter/e'brock carb or demon Jr will be going on that, well once i get it anyway.

bnickel,

How was the Demon on the initial startup. Run right away or a lot of tuning needed? I have one in a box now ready to install so any info would be appreciated.

it fired right up. i did have to do quite a bit of tuning on my car, but that's mostly because my cam is really a little too big for the road demon. i really should have gone with a speed demon. but the cam is only slightly bigger than the largest recommended by BG so i figured it would be ok. i am going to have it jet it down though. the demon carbs are jetted a little richer than a comparable holley. so i'd recommend getting some jets for it. in my case i probably need a couple sizes smaller on the primary side.

What cam are you running? I have the XE262H in my 351w, not too extreme. I hear the Street Avenger carbs are a little more efficient than the old standard holleys. I'm sure getting it tuned properly will equate the two though.

I am on the low side of the recommended so maybe the jetts will match. Thanks for the info and I will post how the startup goes. I am still worried about wiping the flat tappet cam but what are ya goin to do except roll the dice. Later....

What cam are you running? I have the XE262H in my 351w, not too extreme. I hear the Street Avenger carbs are a little more efficient than the old standard holleys. I'm sure getting it tuned properly will equate the two though.

it's a speed pro cam. 224*/236* at .050 and .472/.496 lift. the cam recommendation from BG is no larger than 220* at .050.

is your's a 351w? from what i remember it is. My cam is 218/224 @ 0.050" and 0.493/0.500 and 110° lobe separation. Looks like we are not too far off ;) That may be a little close for comfort. I feel my edelbrock is a tab bit too small, so an extra 25cmf may not help much.

it fired right up. i did have to do quite a bit of tuning on my car, but that's mostly because my cam is really a little too big for the road demon. i really should have gone with a speed demon. but the cam is only slightly bigger than the largest recommended by BG so i figured it would be ok. i am going to have it jet it down though. the demon carbs are jetted a little richer than a comparable holley. so i'd recommend getting some jets for it. in my case i probably need a couple sizes smaller on the primary side.

Do the Demon carbs use regular Holley Jets?

is your's a 351w? from what i remember it is. My cam is 218/224 @ 0.050" and 0.493/0.500 and 110° lobe separation. Looks like we are not too far off ;) That may be a little close for comfort. I feel my edelbrock is a tab bit too small, so an extra 25cmf may not help much.

yep, it's one them canadian motors :rockon: the demons actually flow a lot more than a comparable holley, demon claims about 10% more. i think it was 351 carlo that had his 625 road demon wet flowed and it came to like 715 cfm or something like that. the specs on your cam fall inline pretty well with demons rec's. geneally when choosing a carb you only need the intake duration so at 218* @ .050 you're right under the recommended the 220.

i took a chance on mice and the carb does actually work really well, not like any of the holleys i've ever had. you don't have to continually jacj around with it. once you have it set where you want it the carb pretty behaves pretty well, not tempermental like a holley. probably a little more like a carter/e'brock but you may find it takes a bit more playing with to get it just right. i can tell you that compared to the 600 carter i had on it before the idle is much smoother because of the 4 corner idle. after i got the demon i sold the carter to a buddy for his blazer.

J, check out teh 625 road demon. i've got one and for the money it was the best carb i've ever bought. that said i like the e'brock/carter carbs too. what are you going to do with the e'brock? wanna sell it?

Ditto on the 625 road demon. Best carb I ever had for the cash. I went through a 4160 holley, an edelbrock and the road demon. I was definitely a big fan of the road demon, it was a LOT more responsive and made a lot more power via the seat of the pants meter.

B, I have the 750 Speed Demon now, and unfortunately my new cam is 246/256@ .050. They say go no higher than 240@.050 with it... so I guess only time will tell if I have to step up to the Mighty Demon. Any idea if it'll make out alright?

I use Holley rebuild kits for my Demon since I got them cheap from work... most stuff is interchangeable.

Just saw the above post. The Demon was wet flowed and actually pushed 743 CFM :devil:

Now this was fine because a vacuum secondary carb will only open primaries around town and the secondaries will open depending upon vacuum. Thus if there were no vacuum leaks and the secondaries had the right spring/tune, its a very efficient setup with very little chance of ''overcarbbing'' the setup.

Don't be discouraged, the demon can take some time to get used to. Transfer slots need to be set first, float bowls second, then mess with the idle. People screw up the size of transfer slots and it really screws up the idle circuit.

Just saw the above post. The Demon was wet flowed and actually pushed 743 CFM :devil:

Now this was fine because a vacuum secondary carb will only open primaries around town and the secondaries will open depending upon vacuum. Thus if there were no vacuum leaks and the secondaries had the right spring/tune, its a very efficient setup with very little chance of ''overcarbbing'' the setup.

Don't be discouraged, the demon can take some time to get used to. Transfer slots need to be set first, float bowls second, then mess with the idle. People screw up the size of transfer slots and it really screws up the idle circuit.

agreed, the transfer slots (idle speed screw) should be set to demon specs, mine even came with a tuning video as i think most demon carbs do.