Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Topless69GT

Restoration Started!

I am so excited my 69 GT Convertible restoration is now underway! Best thing is no sheet metal other than the tail light panel and the drivers door need to be replaced. Floors and torque boxes are rock solid. The only other surprise up to this point is the transmission is not the original one. That made my decision to put in an AOD transmission easier. Has anyone out there done this on a 69? If so where did you get you crossmember, flex plate etc...? Also building the motor a little bit for a little added punch. I will add a web site address later to show the progress.

awesome good luck with the resto. i haven't actually installed an aod in my car yet but i have done a lot of research and have found that the stock 69 351 flexplate and the stock FMX crossmember should both work fine with the aod, though you might have to do a little bit of clearance grinding on the crossmember for a perfect fit. not sure if the stock fmx block plate will work with the aod or if you'll have to get an aod specific block plate though.

i would recommend mocking up the engine and trans with the stock flexplate before building the engine in case you do need a different flexplate that way you can have the new flexplate balanced with the engine rotating assembly if needed.

i gott say even though acapulco blue IS my favorite 69 color i battled long and hard when i decided to paint my car something other than lime gold between the acapulco blue and the royal maroon.

in the case of your car i think i would go back with the royal maroon especially since it is a one of eighteen car. just my opinion, though, and it is your car so you should do what you want with it.

It is a tough question. I wrestle with the color change everyday. Some days I think I am going back Royal Maroon others Acapulco Blue. I even thought about painting it 1966 Vintage Burgundy since I like that color better than Royal Maroon and most folks would not notice the difference. We will see. I think it will be a game time decision.

It is a tough question. I wrestle with the color change everyday. Some days I think I am going back Royal Maroon others Acapulco Blue. I even thought about painting it 1966 Vintage Burgundy since I like that color better than Royal Maroon and most folks would not notice the difference. We will see. I think it will be a game time decision.

there is no doubt that it will look awesome in either color and as everyone knows i'm VERY partial to acapulco blue so i would like it either way, actually i'd probably like a bit more in acapulco blue, but given the rarity of the original color and trim codes royal maroon might be the best way to go.

question, do you plan on selling the car anytime soon? if you do plan on selling within say the next 5-10 years paint it royal maroon. if you plan to keep it longer than that then go acapulco blue.

me personally, i had never planned on selling my car...ever!!!! but sometimes life happens and that's why i'm going to sell it when it's finally done. another option for you would be paint yours acapulco blue then buy mine and have a matching pair :stuart: LOL

First off you are right that the Acapulco Blue with white combo is stunning. The only thing is it appears that either a quite of few were built that way or are now that way. You rarely see a Royal Maroon convertible. Usually Royal Maroon is seen on a Boss 429 or a Mach.

Also the rear valance is correct since your vehicle came with the 351-2V. Only GTs (and Machs) with 351-4Vs, 390s or 428s came with the valance with the dual exhaust provision.

With that said it should look stunning on what ever color you decide with the dual exhaust tips.

I do plan on keeping the car for quite sometime. My goal is to keep the car more than 10 years. I use to have to own one mustang at a time but now I plan on keeping this one and then getting another one that will be a revolving door car. If you look at the website there are two other cars in those photos. One is on the other lift on top and is covered with plastic sheeting. I plan on getting that car as well if all works out and the restoration of the 69 does not go too far over budget. It is a 66 Shelby clone and is very nice.

I wondered about the rear valance cutouts on the "H" code. I saw several articles and a website where the GT package included the dual exhaust cutout but made no mention of the "H" not having the cutouts. I had a 67 GTA that was a "C" code car and was all original down to the paint and it had single exhaust and no cutouts on the rear valance. I corrected it on the website.

Ok I realize this is a coupe and not a vert for but FWIW heres what it would like in Royal Maroon. I use to know a guy named larry who owned a simillar site with a beautiful decked out marroon vert but he seems to have vanished so this was the best reference I could find for you to help decide.

1969Coupe-2.jpg

That looks like the color i find under my chipped paint right now. Not bad looking at all. But its still not disco red........

B if you're car was originally royal maroon i think you should paint it back that color. i know you really like the disco red but...

ya know there is just something about that car that i've always liked. i actually have the trading card that has that exact picture on it, i keep it in my wallet. normally i don't like the chrome version of teh GT wheel but on that car they look absolutely perfect. there is nothing on that car that i would ever change. in fact it was that picture of the car that made me start wondering about painting my car royal maroon.

Ya mean like ones on my car?:censored:

yeah. sorry man. that's not to say that the chrome ones aren't the most popular ones though. which is probably why i don't like them as much. actually, i guess i should say that i prefer the argent painted ones not really so much that i dislike the chrome ones

yeah. sorry man. that's not to say that the chrome ones aren't the most popular ones though. which is probably why i don't like them as much. actually, i guess i should say that i prefer the argent painted ones not really so much that i dislike the chrome ones

Lol, that's OK, it's not like I picked them out, they did come with the car. I always liked them though and if there was a billet 17" version like the Magnums then I might have consdered them again. With the extra chrome on the windshield trim of the vert I liked the extra bling. That's why I chose those bullet mirrors instead of the correct paint to match ones too.

Lol, that's OK, it's not like I picked them out, they did come with the car. I always liked them though and if there was a billet 17" version like the Magnums then I might have consdered them again. With the extra chrome on the windshield trim of the vert I liked the extra bling. That's why I chose those bullet mirrors of the correct paint to match ones too.

yeah you never did tell me how much you wanted for those. i keep thinking i may want to keep the shelby wheels AND my current wheels for the cougar.

i've got some argent ones that need to be restored but i have no tires for them or trim trings either. i'll trade you a 70 console for 'em :boat:

yeah you never did tell me how much you wanted for those. i keep thinking i may want to keep the shelby wheels AND my current wheels for the cougar.

i've got some argent ones that need to be restored but i have no tires for them or trim trings either. i'll trade you a 70 console for 'em :boat:

Hmmm, I'll think about it. I need them until the car is done and I can get the brakes installed to double check the back space to order the new rims. Oy.

Ok I realize this is a coupe and not a vert for but FWIW heres what it would like in Royal Maroon. I use to know a guy named larry who owned a simillar site with a beautiful decked out marroon vert but he seems to have vanished so this was the best reference I could find for you to help decide.

Well, I finally found an article featuring Larry's car I mentioned but i was wrong on the color, it's actually a modern day (for the time that is) Strawberry.

mufp_0108_69_01_z+1969_ford_mustang_convertible+front_view.jpg

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featuredvehicles/45659/

It's got alot of the details I am striving for now.