Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69 Coupe de jour

What oil?

Depends - roller rocker or tappet? High perf or stock? If you have an orginal engine I've heard an oil high in zinc is good for the tappets. As to weight Rotella has a zinc oil in 10W40. I believe the recommended oil back in the day was 10W30. I think 5W20 is too "light" - 5W oils are made for newer cars.

I run 15W50 Synth. in my 408C - it seems to work fine but very pricey. I'll go back to 10W40 come winter.

However, your question will get a different answer each time you ask it. But I think most will agree 5W20 is not the oil to use. 10w30 or 10w40 is much "safer". Texaco and Sunoco also have zinc content - newer weights oils don't.

However, if your engine has been modernized like mine 10W40 or 20W50 is probably the right oil.

I run 20-50 syn. But I live in Florida so I really don't see winter. I also run it at the drag strip often so this was the recomended oil from Mobil 1. I would not run anything lower than 10-30. I belive thats what the factory called for.

I do also for the greater range but not in the winter. I don't drive much in the winter - MD weather can be tough as I'm sure NJ is also. So my last oil change of the season is a semi-synth. 10W40. Not as thick and since I may only put a 100 miles on it over 4 months there is no sense in buying full synth.

You are fortunate to be able to once ,and a while use you car's during the winter month's ,I keep my cars out of the salt and liquid calcium,it's basically on the roads from Nov-mid-late March around here, the other downer is I live on a partial dirt road,if the conditions were different I'd do the same with my oil...That's why I want to move SOUTH ,I'm sick of not being able to use my car's for such a long period ,I also like to use my boat more than three months of the year. My wife likes the Haver De Grace area ,I do to but I want to move further ,if I only have to see one or two snow storms(if at all) a season ,I'd be very happy...

You are fortunate to be able to once ' date='and a while use you car's during the winter month's ,I keep my cars out of the salt and liquid calcium,it's basically on the roads from Nov-mid-late March around here, the other downer is I live on a partial dirt road,if the conditions were different I'd do the same with my oil...That's why I want to move SOUTH ,I'm sick of not being able to use my car's for such a long period ,I also like to use my boat more than three months of the year. My wife likes the Haver De Grace area ,I do to but I want to move further ,if I only have to see one or two snow storms(if at all) a season ,I'd be very happy...[/quote']

How far south did you wanna move, maybe we can help you start up!!!!

I know what you mean, on a different level. I hate owning something, and not being able to use it as often as I like. Only difference is, my problem is finding time and money to keep the car running right, whilst renovating a house.

As far as the oil goes, we down south tend to stick to 20W-50 due to our more boring climate. Seeing that my motors got a lot of wear, I use a mineral based, but will switch to synthetic/semi-synthetic once I rebuild.

David.