Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TStone

Dash Pad removal

I'll need to remove my dash pad to replace my speaker

- how many screws am I looking for?

- Does anyone have a decent exploded diagram I can go by?

- Any tricks I need to know in advance?

Thanx Todd

First, I would get the shop manuals (5 set) cause there is a small but still exploded view of taking the dash pad off (Volume 4: 18-02-14 I think). I'll explain it as best as I can.

There are 3 screws along the windshield edge which are about an inch and a half long. Use a very long screw driver because when I did it, I couldn't turn the screwdriver cause of the windshield. Next working from left to right, there is a side piece of trim down by driver's door. There are two screws here and a screw plate (?). The screw plate is more of a metal clip that allows for the screw to tighten against the metal dash frame. I believe there is another screw by the gauge cluster but I can't be sure. Next there 3 screws in the upper dash area above the glove box. Lastly, the same trim piece that was on the driver's side is also on the passenger side. This should be all of the screws but not 100% sure on that. I would check around the radio bezel. You might have to take that off cause there could be two screws holding in the center of the pad underneath the bezel.

As a word of caution, when lifting off the dash pad do so slowly. Lift at the same angle as the windshield cause its not meant to come straight back or straight up. Also, they're put on with some sort of caulk adhesive so you might have to apply a little pressure to seperate it from the car. Total time should be about 15 min. Hope this helps.

I don’t remember exactly how many screws but probably a dozen or so of varying lengths. I’ve had mine in and out about a dozen times and it only takes a few minutes. I use a long Phillips to get the screws out on the front of the dash up against the windshield and a short stubby Phillips to get the end caps and other lower ones out. It’s really very simple and I’d recommend you vacuum behind the dash when you get it out. :yes:

When they originaly put those in, the clock side panel, regardless if it was deluxe or not, screwed into place on the dash pad first, then the dash was set in place. there are a couple of places that the tabs need to be screwed on first, you can't get to once the dash is on.

I agree with Armond, assuming that this dash pad has not been removed before. Mine did not have the screws in the clock tabs so i didn't have to take the clock panel with it. There should be two screws above the radio, three along the top of the pad, three attaching the instrument cluster to the pad, three attaching the clock panel, and the two end cap areas.

Thanx for all the input - it went really smooth.

FWIW - I installed a new dash speaker from NPD and it sounds suprisingly good.

Dual Voice Coil Speakers

Offers improved sound over dual speaker units especially

in bass response, 120 watts.

67-73 Dash mount, 67-68 w/o AC only...18808-2E 39.95