Protowrxs

Protowrxs Coupe - Update

Worked on the rack and pinion install this week and believe I have it worked out. The hardest part was fitting the double u-joint to the steering shaft and the DD shaft into the support bearing as they were both too small.

I sanded and ground down the steering column shaft and honed the support bearing out a bit to make things work.

I had needed to drop in the mocked up motor to prepare fabbing up the TKO crossmember so I dropped it in today. Was pretty easy without the tranny.

I was pleasantly surprised (amazed actually) that the existing long tube Headman headers I have may well work with the rack after all. Looks like just some minor work on a couple tubes should provide clearance.

I only wish that was a ready to run engine instead of a hollow core.. :(

Full story and pics here:

http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2006-12-31.asp

-Stephen

Worked on the rack and pinion install this week and believe I have it worked out. The hardest part was fitting the double u-joint to the steering shaft and the DD shaft into the support bearing as they were both too small.

I sanded and ground down the steering column shaft and honed the support bearing out a bit to make things work.

I had needed to drop in the mocked up motor to prepare fabbing up the TKO crossmember so I dropped it in today. Was pretty easy without the tranny.

I was pleasantly surprised (amazed actually) that the existing long tube Headman headers I have may well work with the rack after all. Looks like just some minor work on a couple tubes should provide clearance.

I only wish that was a ready to run engine instead of a hollow core.. :(

Full story and pics here:

http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2006-12-31.asp

-Stephen

looking good!!! the headers look like they'll work really well with only a small amount pushing them away from the steering shaft. i'd try not to dimple them if you can help it, if you can get a bottle jack in there you should be able to just push the tubes away from the shaft and get all the clearance you need.

looking good!!! the headers look like they'll work really well with only a small amount pushing them away from the steering shaft. i'd try not to dimple them if you can help it, if you can get a bottle jack in there you should be able to just push the tubes away from the shaft and get all the clearance you need.

Hmm.. good point. I think there is plenty of clearance towards the drivers side. Just have to figure out how to jig the things up to keep from messing up the flange. Thanks.

-Stephen

Hmm.. good point. I think there is plenty of clearance towards the drivers side. Just have to figure out how to jig the things up to keep from messing up the flange. Thanks.

-Stephen

Nice! Congrats on the success with the headers, I wish I knew what the hell kind I had so I could tell folks, I get asked all the time and haven't a clue but they work nice with all steering set ups.

So are those sand blasted aluminum Cobra VC's or are they just primered?

Nice! Congrats on the success with the headers, I wish I knew what the hell kind I had so I could tell folks, I get asked all the time and haven't a clue but they work nice with all steering set ups.

They are blasted.. I had them and the intake, etc blasted when I had the front clip done. I know.. can't tell between all the gray primer what is what.

I still may have to pony up for some polished "EFI" versions to get the filler in the right place and match the pan. Depends on which rockers I end up with I guess in regard to how tall the covers need to be.

-Stephen

They are blasted.. I had them and the intake, etc blasted when I had the front clip done. I know.. can't tell between all the gray primer what is what.

I still may have to pony up for some polished "EFI" versions to get the filler in the right place and match the pan. Depends on which rockers I end up with I guess in regard to how tall the covers need to be.

-Stephen

most of the newer style cobra covers will clear roller rackers, just FYI

I had a busy/fun day to start off 2007. I stuffed the TKO 5 speed into the car by myself.. and I'm paying for it with my back right now. But it was worth it since I ended up making a tranny crossmember work as well.

After getting the trans in and testing fitting some of the original cross members I had, I ended up cutting up my old FMX cross member and making it work. I had planned on fabbing up a custom unit but with the FMX unit being so close I ended up just hacking it up. I still have to re-inforce it to finish but it worked out pretty good.

I used an original tranny mount I had which bolted right up to the TKO. That allowed a shallower cross member and that is where the FMX unit fit it. It also allows extra room on the drivers side where the speedo drive comes out which is needed with the Vehicle Speed Sensor I'll need with the EFI computer.

I have to admit it was much easier taking care of this transmission issue without floorpans!

I also bought something I really didn't need but really like.. an original tubular GT40 intake. Should make things look much better under the hood and add some horsepower to boot.

More here:

http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-01-01.asp

Happy New Year!

-Stephen

yeah, i think i'll end up using a slightly modified FMX member when i do my AOD swap, though it wil likely be in a cougar ratehr than the stang. looks like it will work well for the tremec as well. well, i have officially been awake for all of 07 so far, other than a 2 hour nap from 2-4 pm. i wasn't feeling good yesterday and slept for almost 18 hours straight, of course i couldn't sleep last night so that's why i've been up so long. so kind of a strange day for me as well.

Just picked up the GT40 intake today.. I know you more purist/old style guys won't be impressed but I REALLY like what it looks like. Should be worth some horses over the stock one as well. Just need to get a new 70mm throttle body now.

-Stephen

i don't know, there is just something about the GT-40 tubular intakes that makes it look pretty old school to me. i guess it's just the fact that it's all tubular and the finned aluminum top as well. i think it would look really cool to do some paint and polish on the finned part to make them match the cobra valve covers and then polish up all the tubes to really set it off. looks nice. what kind are you planning as far as dressing it up? i know you were planning on painting the engine black but i'm kinda thinking you should paint the block and heads either blue or maybe ford gray and then do the intake fins and valve covers in black with polished fins and polished tubes, that would look trick!!

Actually that is pretty close to what I am thinking of doing.

Actually I plan on a black engine, some aluminum heads, polished Cobra covers with inside the fins black and aluminum or gray on the GT40 intake with polished fins and black accent inside the fins.

At least that is the 'current' plan... ha

Those tubes are so intertwined I don't think they could really be polished very well.

-Stephen

Just a few new things since last time. Obviously the GT40 intake I posted earlier but I also picked up a polished Accufab 70mm throttle body to top it off with. I tried to talk myself into running the stock one to begin with the non-common sense overruled.

I also measured/test fit a drive shaft I have from before... amazingly perfect fit. Just need to swap out u-joints to fit the larger front yoke. Speaking of.. look at the difference in size between the TKO and the original C4 yoke in the pic. Big difference.

I finished up the modified FMX cross member by cutting up and welding the support pieces and also bent up the 1 1/8" pipe to finish out the home brew EFI export brace / monte carlo bar combo. Just need to pull it and final weld/grind and paint it now.

More pics here:

http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-01-07.asp

Take care all!

-Stephen

C&L Pipe - Fan Testing - Under carriage cleaning<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I spent the ice storm in the garage cleaning mainly. Worked the under carriage, well actually just the tunnel since there are no floors, and am happy with the results.

I also received my C&L pipe/80mm mass air sensor (for a 96-01 4.6GT) and picked up a 70mm throttle body to go with it. The pipe looks great and the bends are just about perfect for a shock tower car. Only possible issue is with a ½†spacer on the motor mounts an the 1†spacer on the intake it looks like hood clearance is a slight issue. I might have to trim one of the support brackets on a stock hood. I had seriously thought of a cowl hood in the past so that may still be an option. I also made a simple L bracket to hold the mass air unit which can be adjusted up or down as needed.

I also pulled a couple electric fans out of storage to test fit them on an old radiator. I will purchase an aluminum radiator in the long run but this helped to insure things would fit.

More info here: http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-01-14.asp

-Stephen<o:p></o:p>

looking good, sucks that wou'll have to cut on the hood though.

Yeah, I'm still looking at what the options are. I have two hoods.. and 69 and a 70 (they are the same right?) so I can cut one if needed. It is only the bracing and I'll re-inforce it with a new version to fit around the pipe if needed.

I still may drop the intake spacer as well if that works. It just gets real tight with the Corbra covers on both sides then. Still many options to solve the issue.

Time to make a new punch list for what needs to get done!

-Stephen

Wow.. lots of new faces here in such a short time and lots of new Coupes.. Cool. I've been out of the Stang Planet lately doing the work thing and other activities. I haven't stopped buying parts though. I've also been changing my todo lists and build sheets to fit in more with the Getting Things Done (GTD) concept which I hope will keep the project from seeming overwhelming at times.

I have parts now to rebuild the heater box, to sound insulate the firewall, and to clean up the EFI harness and bypass the EGR and canister purge controls. Starting in April I should have at least $500 a month to dump into the car so hopefully things will move a little faster.

Just a few pics.. oh, btw if anyone needs a heater rebuild/seal kit for an AC car I have one. For some reason I bought the wrong one off ebay. I opened it since I didn't realize it at first but all is there.

A little more info here:

http://www.Protowrxs.com/nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-03-14.asp

Oh yeah.. happy birthday to me... I hate getting another year older.