Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FallujahMedic

Multiple Q's, need A's

So I take my newly Media blasted car and my trailer (and truckful of parts) to the restoration shop...

$8000.00 to install a new hood, 2 complete doors, 2 front fenders, 2 full quarters (the new ones),reae quarter extensions, radiator support, battery apron, both floorpans, both toeboards, taillight panel , outer wheelwells and to reair my badly rusted cowl. WOW, i feel like I've been raped, but I really wanted it done right.

Anyway I came away with quite a few questions. I've found many reponses during my searches, but nothing with the exact combo I'm looking for. The problem is that my car originally started life as 302, 3spd, 8-in rear, manual drum-drum brakes and man steering. I want to upgrade to a 9-in rear, tko 500/600 5 speed, FRPP 347 crate, 4 wheel power discs, power rack and pinion steering, A/C and Long Tube headers.

After looking at multiple websites and trolling multiple forums I cant seem to find the correct products that will match up with each other. Like I'd find a great rack and pinion system, but it was not recommended for man transmissions. Or I'd find another but said it would not work with LT headers.

HELP!!!

You should be able to do all that... eventually.. and with enough time and funds. Every car and owner is different though so finding that exact combo might be tough.

The crate motor should be the easy part (to make work.. not to pay for.. :) since it's the same beginnings as your 302. From everything I've seen the Randalls Rack should work with long tubes and is power with either their pump or a stock one. Only issue there might be the AC part since their pump would seem to get in the way of a sanden compressor but I might be wrong. I'm using a standard 302 serp belt setup and likely using a stock pump on mine.

The 9" just needs to be the right width and spring pad dimensions to work and there are kits for front and rear disc. The TKO might be an issue if I remember due to it's larger size though.

AC is still a toss up to me. There are aftermarket add on kits or one can find an original AC system and use that but they are getting harder to find. I have an old Frigette dealer add on that looked pretty nice under the right side with a control vent looped over to the drivers that I am considering but at $900 to $1000 or so for a complete working kit it's hard to justify finding the remaining parts and trying to make something work.

Best to just work it one area at a time and slowly put her back together in my opinion.

My two cents worth...

Good luck!

-Stephen

This set up should be fine. You can do everything you want, the headers might be the hardest of all if you are stuck on long tubes. Shorties should work fine. Try these vendors- Randalls for the rack and pinion. FRPP for the 347 stroker. Currie for the 9 inch rear. Classic Auto air for the AC. Go with the 3550 tremec and it should slip right in with a news trans cross member-windsor performance. Brakes are available from a bunch of suppliers-Bear, Mustang Steve, Vintage Venom, etc etc. This will make a great set up but cost a bunch of money. Good luck. P.S. I've heard a lot of negatives about the Flamming River r&p system so you may want to stay away.

8000.00 for all that hmm im getting my girlfriends coupe's doors ,hood,trunklid,bothfenders and MAYBE a few other small parts painted off the car for 2000.00 buy a friend of mine that has done many award winning cars

If your have to have long headers, http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm they are not cheap, but he will match up your heads to his headers and guarantees that they won't hang below your stock oil pan and he has worked with the Randalls R&P, I'm thinking about using him even though it'll cost me 3 or 4 hundred extra, I really want longs myself. I also have a C6 which isn't the easiest tranny to work with and he said no problem to that also.

The TCP rack bolts up to where the old engine compartment crossmember went. I can't see any header issues at all with them due to this feature.

I would submit that you may not need the TKO series if you stay with the 289 series stroker, and get a upgraded T5 which would save you the tunnel drivetrain angle headaches. If you step up to the 351W/393 FRRP crate engine, then yes, you need the TKO. Ditto on the 9 inch... if you stay with the small block stroker you can get a pretty bulletproof 8" posi chunk from Currie and stay with your stock housing and axles.